Virus Scanner takes 4 hours?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vlad the Impaler, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

before my clean install, a virus scan took my comp 40 minutes, after my clean install, last night i scanned and it took 4 hours! All of my settings are the same. I am using Norton Systemworks 2003. I haven't noticed any other problems with the comp. I am running xp pro, SP1. anybody know why this is happening?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

any recent updates to NORTON?

3. Fw190

Fw190 Lt. Anti-Social

any different drivers? Is the system running slower, you might not be running on bus master drivers optimized for the chipset. That would really cut down your disk access.

Other than that I would echo what kodo said, any recent updates?

You may also want to try running the scan in safe mode to see if it is something interfering with Norton that starts up.

4. Vlad the Impaler

Vlad the Impaler F.K.A. Immaculate

yes I updated Norton as soon as I reinstalled , and everything else the same, newest NVIDIA drivers 45.23... last night I was online with DSL, I left the room for a while came back and it said "connection lost". I tried to reconnect, it wouldn't, and I did notice the comp running slower. I rebooted , and I could connect and yes I noticed a bit of a lag in the system. That's when I ran the scan, went to sleep, and say it took 4 hours!

The only thing I did different after my clean install was 3 things 1) Ran the program Cacheman,.
    I have 1024 MB of RAM, maybe I should have left Cacheman alone.. could that have caused the problem?

2) Ran XP Anti Spy and checked all the boxes (per Mastertechs XP Guide)

3)Installed Q815411 , per Mastertechs XP tweak guide
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

# 3 concerns me now becuase this fix never showed up in windows update, I had to DL and install it manually.. maybe that's the problem.. any ideas guys?

BTW i have a 1.7 MHZ P4

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds