virus scanning issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by sunshineshawna, Jan 18, 2009.

1. sunshineshawna

sunshineshawna Private E-2

I have been trying to run virus scans (AVG, Panda, Kaspersky,etc.) and they all get stuck at the same place. They stop at c:system volume info remote manager and won't complete the scan. I have been successful a few times when I run AVG myself, but the scheduled scanner stops there too. I shut off Zone Alarm and turned the Windows firewall back on. Still the same thing. I have XP, and have done all the updates. I have uninstalled AVG and re-installed it with no change. I am also having a major problem with my Explorer starting up too. It won't load the first time, it also freezes.
    I am thinking I should use another anti virus, but will this help?

I am new here, and am by no means an advanced user, so be gentle please! Any info would be great! Thanks :)

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Sounds as if you need to transfer to Malware.
    May try to run SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes first then try your AV programs. If that doesn't shake something loose, then go to malware. They are overworked so may take some time for them to get to you, so please be patient.
    Welcome to Major Geeks and good luck.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The scans are stopping at your system restore files.....files that no AV or Malware program will remove. They can only be removed by toggling your restore files ( as in turn off system restore, reboot, re-enable system restore). But you should not do this unless you know your system to be clean. This is why you are being directed to do this:
    READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds