Virus warning for Coretemp download.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tigger2000, Aug 3, 2013.

1. tigger2000

tigger2000 Private E-2

I get a virus warning popup whenever I download coretemp and try to open it, does anyone have any suggestions ?
    A.V is 20012 version of AVG Internet security.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Where are you downloading Coretemp from? as its not clear from your post where the download is coming from.

What Windows Version and Service Pack are you using?

I downloaded Coretemp from Majorgeeks again and tested it with VirusTotal a reputable online checker, what checks all AV programs latest DEF files out with a specific file for malware, and the results are HERE

I think the warning is from InstallQ and adware over malware, so if you do not want this issue then uninstall and install CPUID HWMonitor (I use this all personally with no issues)

3. tigger2000

tigger2000 Private E-2

Thanks so much for your help and advice, I downloaded Coretemp from MJ so I was certain that AVG had flagged it as a false positive. I will download CPUID HWMonitor and install it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cheers for the info and yeah CPUID HWMonitor is good, well I like it anyways.

I have tested Coretemp again today and researched install that some AVs list as bad, in that they categorise this InstallIQ component as Riskware, not necessarily malware but not always needed to install an application. Some developers to pay the bills on freeware apps, add other applications in the install process, these are paid for applications.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds