Visio viewer needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by thai_american_42, May 22, 2008.

1. thai_american_42

thai_american_42 Corporal

I have Microsoft XP and use Windows Internet explorer. Microsoft Visio is a diagramming software. I have a visio document ending in a .vsd extension. I want to view this document, I don't really care how that is accomplished. I downloaded Visio 2007 Viewer from the Microsoft website. According to the download website, the Visio 2007 Viewer is implemented as an ActiveX control that loads and renders Visio drawings inside Internet Explorer.

After installing, my computer recognized the .vsd document as a Microsoft Visio document. However, when I click on the .vsd document, I get the reply "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded."

Please either help me make Visio 2007 Viewer work or suggest another viewer that will open Visio documents. Thanks.

2. thai_american_42

In an effort to overcome the "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded," I turned off my Norton 360, allowed pop ups, and set my Internet Security setings to medium. I then dragged and dropped my Visio Drawing (.VSD extension) file into an open Internet Explorer window. Internet Explorer was supposed to load the Visio Viewer, which then renders the drawing in the browser window. However, I still got the "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded."

Please either help me make Visio 2007 Viewer work or suggest another viewer that will open Visio documents. Thanks.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try setting the Local Intranet security settings to Medium-Low ( Tools > Internet Options > Security > Local Intranet > move slider to medium-low > Apply )

I know you have Norton 360 and have disabled this to test, but do you have any other security software installed if so what as one of them may block Activex.

4. thai_american_42

I set my local Intranet security settings to Medium-Low and then to Low and tried to drag and drop the .vsd file onto an open Internet Explorer window. I still get the same message, "Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded."

I'm not aware of any security software installed other than Norton 360 (Is there a way for you to determine this?). As far as I know, I've always been able to use Activex. However, I've never dragged a file from my harddrive and dropped it into an open Internet Explorer window.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds