Vista 32 / cmd.exe / Unknown Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by thulen, Nov 7, 2010.

1. thulen

thulen Private E-2

I was recommended here by Kestrel13! from the Malware forum: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=225911

I am having an issue with certain programs and it is possible it is registry problems from the malware issue.

I am trying to reinstall a program and when the install program starts to run I am getting this error:

C:\Users\home\AppData\Local\temp\GLF29B~1.EXE
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

Other times I get this error:
    C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

The program in question is NeatWorks from The Neat Company. I have tried using 'Your Uninstaller' to uninstall the program. After that I went through the registry and attempted to remove what I could of the program. Then I attempted to run the installer and I am getting the above errors.

I have also tried multiple virus scanners, CCLeaner, and Super Anti-Spyware.

I have attached a picture of the errors.

Attached Files:

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Try using CCleaner from safe mode, these temporary files sound locked. Tap f8 on boot, choose safe mode.

Check your startup to see if they are being called.

Try a more aggressive registry cleaner like 360Amigo Speedup in our all in one section.

3. thulen

thulen Private E-2

I just got set up at work. I will give it a try when I get back home. I haven't heard of 360Amigo but I will give that a shot as well.

4. thulen

thulen Private E-2

Major Attitude,

Thanks for the reply. I used both CCLeaner and Amigo in safe mode. They did find a few extra issues (such as the tmp files). Although, I am still seeing the errors indicated below.

Now I am mainly getting the c:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe error.

I have checked the perms for that file which are Full Control for AdminS and my user.

Any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated. If it is not worth your brain I will backup important files and start fresh with Win7. I was trying to hold off on that but this almost seems to discreet. Usually I can find the answers within MS' website and/or Google. There is not a whole lot out there on this one.

Thanks,

T

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. thulen

thulen Private E-2

Hi plodr,

I took a look at all 3 of these. I tried the .NET repair even though I am running 3.5. That did not help.

I have seen those self-(no)-help FAQs from The Neat Company before and they were not helpful.

Thanks for everyone taking a crack at it but after the malware, I am just going to start fresh with Windows 7. It is probably better that way.

Who knows what else lies beneath if I am unable to install a program. I am also having problems with DivX and other programs installing.

Once again, thanks for your time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds