vista aero theme won't stay enabled

Discussion in 'Software' started by YaItsKndaLykDat, May 28, 2007.

1. YaItsKndaLykDat

YaItsKndaLykDat Private E-2

i'm running vista ultimate and im having trouble with the aero theme so i can use dreamscene, thumbnail previews, ect.

i right click on the desktop, click personalize, click windows color and appearance, and my theme is currently windows vista basic.
    so i click on windows aero, then apply, then ok.
    it doesn't appear to be aero, so i go back to the color and appearance settings and its back on windows vista basic.
    why wont it stay on aero?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Do you have a Aero compatible graphics card?

Also are the drivers for graphics card latest update? ( card needs to be Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) driver compatible )

3. YaItsKndaLykDat

i know its not the card because i had aero working on this computer before. i will check the drivers though

how do i tell if the drivers are up to date?

4. DavidGP

Hi
    You can check driver date in Device Manager > Display Adapter and double click the card name then click Driver tab.

But best to goto the maker of your card and download latests driver, be that Ati or Nvidia etc

5. YaItsKndaLykDat

all of my drivers are up to date and it still wont stay at aero

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Post your machine specs please.

7. DavidGP

Also Aero not working can be caused by 3rd party softwares, in that one may not be Aero compatible and cause Aero not to run and revery to basic all the time, generally will be a startup app, so disable them and test, if Aero runs then enable one by one until you find the rouge app.

Also have you been installing any tweaking apps? if so which ones, as some of those can cause registry changes and disable the likes of Aero.

8. YaItsKndaLykDat

ok what specs do i need to post?
    i'll look into the startup programs and im not using any tweaking apps

9. YaItsKndaLykDat

ok i fooled around with the startup programs and i was able to get aero working. but the dreamscenes wont work. even the ones that came as default. i get this error:
    Windows Dreamscene has encountered an error. The video file format is not supported, or there was an error decoding the video file.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds