Vista and an ADSL connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tarwedge, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

One of my relatives recently purchased a laptop with Vista Home Premium installed, without knowing that there are virtually no UK ADSL providers supporting Vista yet. As such, they haven't been able to get their internet connection back up and running. They are using a Belkin wireless G ADSL modem router as their modem, and the connection is provided by NTL.

Unfortunately I can't go round and have a look at it myself, but im fairly certain its not something they're overlooking since they've been on the phone to both Belkin and NTL who have both told them it's just not going to work. My knowledge of ADSL is very limited (always used DSL, much more straightforward!) so there could be a really common little trick that could solve the issue that im totally oblivious to.

If anyone else has had any experience with getting Belkin ADSL modems working in vista, and can help me out, that would be great.

Many thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Virtually all DSL providers in the UK support Vista, it issue comes with how you connect your PC to the modem and the drivers as the CDs they supply at present dont work, not Vista's fault but slow companies issuing updated install CDs, but one work around is to copy the contents of the CD to a folder on the Hard Drive and right click "Run as Admin" the setup.exe, connections if ethernet or wireless generally are fine, USB can be more tricky, If using wireless then I have had no issues running Vista via a Belkin Cable Router Modem on NTL at friend of mines and this was from last year to lastweek.

But NTL is not ADSL its Cable internet connection, I know they have just been bought out by VirginMedia, but the connections have not changed, so they will need a cable modem wireless router or wireless router.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2

Virgin do do ADSL, but if they were NTL customer its very likely they are on cable, so you would buy a wireless router and plug the Cable modem from NTL visa ethernet cable into the wireless router and away you go.

so will need to double check the type of connection they actually have?

3. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

It's definately an ADSL connection, i've been there before so i've seen the setup they're using. I thought they were wrong too when they first mentioned it was an ADSL connection with NTL but it definitely is.

After further investigation on my part, it seems to be that the computer is seeing the router just fine but the router isn't getting a connection from NTL. The indicator lights for the phoneline and the LAN ports are lit up, and the wifi indicator is also flashing to indicate a connection from router to machine, but the status on the routers internal setup pages just shows "no connection". I've had them go through all the different possible setups, PPPoE, PPPoA, dynamic IP etc. etc. and none of them result in a successful connection.

So really its a new question now, and thats how do you get an ADSL router connected to NTL's service?

4. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

To clarify, the name of the service they have is "NTL Freedom", which was apparently primarily NTL's dial up service but they expanded it to include up to 1MB ADSL over BT phone lines. I can't find any information anywhere that tells me what kind of service they offer though with regards to the settings required by the modem.

5. DavidGP

Came across these that may help

6. Tarwedge

Tarwedge Private E-2

I found those too, but they didn't seem to do anything different to what id already been having them do. One thing though, I haven't checked whether or not they're putting in the right username and password as it says in those instructions, they've just been entering one they claim always worked before.

I'll check on that and see what happens, thanks.

7. DavidGP

Hi

Seems like you have covered all the bases, but one thing to possibly try is the microfilter, these can become faulty, so if they have a spare one try that as well as to test unplug all phones in the house and just have the one the PC is plugged into plugged in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds