Vista c:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop (Access Denied)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ekibyogami, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Ekibyogami

Ekibyogami Private E-2

Running:
    Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit
    Service pack 1
    4GB Ram

My main problem is as stated in the title.
    c:/windows/system32/config/systemprofile/desktop
    Access denied

Though that is just part of the issues. I will list everything so far that I have had problems with that I can think of right now and any other relevant info. There is also a picture attached with the pop ups I currently get.

1. Computer freezing upon going into screen-saver (Testing to see if this is the case after posting this)
    2. This issue happened out of nowhere. Thought it was a memory problem and ran the computers memory check and there were no issues.
    3. Computer got worse and system appearance went to basic view with the listed problems.
    4. Denied access to anything that would require administration privileges (Which means I cannot disable UAC even through CMD prompt)
    5. All search functions disabled
    6. Cannot install any new program. Dependency issues as shown in the picture.
    7. Anything that requires system32 I cannot access
    8. Cannot Uninstall anything because of UAC issue.
    9. I still have Internet access and I am posting from the computer with the issue.
    10. There is only this one main user account so to try and use another user to get around the UAC is not possible with what I know so far.

I have searched online a bit to try and figure this out and any option that I have found so far is impossible for me because of the system32 and UAC issues. Many have said that it could be a Norton issue and after taking it off, their problems were solved, but naturally I cannot do this as before mentioned. I have not tried to reinstall windows yet either due to seeing other people with the same problems trying this and still wind up with the same issues.

The main concern is if due to those freezes before and having to constantly reboot the system, if there is a hardware issue that cannot be solved just through Windows.

I would greatly appreciate your help on this matter and hopefully many others can benefit from this too.

Attached Files:

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

First thinking of is unable Norton from start up : Start - Run msconfig - push startup tab - remove Norton's quote from the box - Apply - Ok - windows asks you to reboot - do it , showing what happend !! :wave

3. Ekibyogami

Ekibyogami Private E-2

I cannot do anything like msconfig because of the dependency issue. with System32
    I already disabled everything from running in the Internet Security (The only norton that is on here right now) though it is still not an uninstall.

Update: Computer is no longer freezing

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Ekibyogami...

Can the machine be booted into Safe Mode? And if so, are there any available restore points?

Looks like the possibility of a corrupted user profile - if you can boot into Safe Mode, you might try creating a new admin profile, see if the new user experiences the same symptoms...

5. Ekibyogami

Ekibyogami Private E-2

I can get into safe mode but the UAC issue is still there and even if I try running things through CMD, it is the same issue. Either the UAC or dependency always pops up even in safe mode.

I could only restore by going into safe mode, having the computer check all system files with going to CMD and inputting "sfc /scannow", restoring some corrupted ones (not all of them) and then I could use system restore. The only restore point accessible though was from one during the time it was freezing. I tried to do that but still have the same problems. The restored files were back to being broken again after a restart too. (At least that is what I could tell since I could not do another system restore after unless I ran the same check.)

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. Clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

2. Not sure if this will work to try and fix a corrupt profile
    Perhaps this isn't possible from safe mode.

3. Uninstall Norton.

8. Ekibyogami

Ekibyogami Private E-2

I looked into that link and many other already. Even if that will solve the problem, once trying to get into the config part of that link, I need to have admin right which of course, I do not.

Yes, I do have another computer to use.

As for plodr's post: Msconfig requires admin rights when UAC is on which means I cannot access that either.

Really going to need to hard work on this from quite knowledgeable people if possible.

Going to try and play around with it a little more too in safe mode and see if anything goes. If I was able to get whatever it breaking the link to the System32 folder out OR somehow get it to recognize it again, I might be okay.

Do you think if I copied everything from the system32 folder into another folder outside titled System32 as well and then tried replacing the original, if that would work? Or would that simply not work even if UAC is not an issue since that is what Windows runs through?

9. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

10. Ekibyogami

Ekibyogami Private E-2

Thanks for the registry info. That was successful.

I did a registry check and fixed whatever it said. Then I had some new errors. I ran MWB and HiJack and saw a worm in HiJack but MWB detected nothing. So from then, I turned off the computer.

I am completely at a loss now since out of nowhere after that last shut off and doing pretty much nothing, the system seems fine again. So for now, I am just going to leave this be.

If it comes back again, I will be back. Thanks to those who replied =)

11. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would advise that you go to the Malware Removal Forum and have the experts check your logs to see if you still are infected. Look at the sticky posts first on how to attach logs and what logs to attach.

Edit: Thanks for the feedback.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds