Vista CD/DVD running problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adrian Adamson, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Adrian Adamson

Adrian Adamson Private E-2

Hi, I'm new to this site, but wonder if anybody can help me with a problem with my new laptop, which has Vista installed.

My old computer ran Windows XP, and when I put in a CD or DVD it would automatically start up. This is not the case with my laptop. I hear the disk whir, but nothing comes up on my screen to give me any options. Is there something I should be doing that I haven't done? Has anybody else had a problem like this? Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,
    Adrian

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Mite be the DVD ROM drive is defective. Try to see if it can play DVDs. If not you may want to get a replacement Laptop.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is this just that a CD/DVD wont autoplay and give you a list of open or run options, over the CD/DVD not opening at all? ( I guess that in Start > Computer you can open the CD/DVD fine? )

Goto Control Panel > Programs > Default Programs > then check that Use Autoplay for all media and devices is ticked ( you can also set specific defaults for media types here also )

Are you running any tweaking software as one of its settings maybe at fault here and disabled the Autoplay functions, check those settings from that app too.

Before concidering buying a new laptop just for a defective DVD player, check to see if you can get a replacement drive as that is much cheaper and there are many 3rd party hardware retailers that can supply if the original maker doesnt.

4. Adrian Adamson

Adrian Adamson Private E-2

Thanks Halo,
    I did as you directed and this appears to have solved the problem! At least I've tried it with a DVD and a CD/R and it now appears to work.

Your help is very much appreciated, Thank you!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds