Vista goes off line while sleeping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redryder, Sep 1, 2009.

1. redryder

redryder Private First Class

I am using Vista Home Premiam,64 bit. When I leave my computer and when I manully put it to sleep, sometimes I can't get it out of sleep and when I do get it awake,it is off line. When I can't get it to wake, I finally have to manully shut down the PC and when it comes back on, it is in Safe Mode and I must re boot. Sometimes, I can't get it to sleep.
    It looks like it is asleep, but wakes up in just a few seconds.
    Would appreciate any help someone could give me. Thanks in advance,
    Red

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Wondering if you check any BIOS options for problems? Also, check your network card properties regarding it going to sleep or not. You have a ton of possibilities from hardware to software, don't know where to begin on this one. Your going to need to try and track error messages for the problem.

Frankly, I shut down every night except when I am running some tasks, if your not why leave it on to wear down parts, suck in dust, etc. Yup, off track, just not a fan of computers being on 24\7, never saw the benefit, that and since we all reboot occasionally, I like the fresh start. I am actually typing this remotely and my pc (1500 miles away) was on for 5 days before a reboot, which I did just because a program was acting buggy. This is the only time I leave mine on, because i can not be there to turn it on and off. This is heavily debated over the years and I don't feel anyone has made a winning case for either argument, but if your having an issue try shutting it down at night. Since I think Vista sucks anyhow, perhaps it might work better for you?

3. redryder

Thanks for your input. I, too, shut down at night, but my problem occurs when I leave my PC and it goes to sleep or if I put it to sleep before I leave it for a period of thme. I not much at tech stuff so I don't mess with the technical things. I'll be upgrading to Windows 7 when it ships in Oct. Maybe I"ll get things straightened out then. Thanks again for your input.
    Red

4. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Vista has been plagued with countless bugs related to shut down/reboot/sleep functions and the amount of reported causes and fixes is pretty shocking.
    [note: i could have ended that sentence at "Vista has been plagued with countless bugs" and it would have been just as valid :p

My main computer is in peices at the minute so my bookmarks are hours away from being any use to anyone :( but when i get it up and running i've got some links to some of the most common prob's and fixes regarding this type of bug.

On the off-topicish subject of computers being on 24/7...

My laptops are shut down whenever not being used but my desktops are always on unless ther broken or being cleaned.

Q

5. redryder

Thanks for the replys to my problem.
    Yes, most of the time, I must shut down and reboot. I sure hope that Windows 7 is a lot better than Vista. If not, what do we do? Maybe go back to XP. I had few complaints with XP. Thanks Guy
    Red

6. webpanther

webpanther Private E-2

I am using Vista Business ,64 bit for 3 years now i have set all powersetting never to turn of and i do but my network(card) to weak up did had no problems on my end with vista to go to sleep check your power setting and post it hier

7. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

8. FBP

FBP Private E-2

Hey bro do you mean coma mode i just get up and walk away 5 mins later my puter goes to coma mode. When i return even if it were 24 hours since it went into coma mod touch any key or my mouse it pops right back on:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds