Vista Hard Disk Partition Editor?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ShelaghRoyale, Sep 20, 2009.

1. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Is there any way to view all the files that are in my (D: )drive:confused
    I do not know how to use DOS...[Is there a 3rd party software available?]
    The reason I am asking is that I'm noticing that my D:drive is getting fuller. I tried to shrink my (D: ) drive, but puter won't allow it.

Is there any way to delete selected downloaded software that has remained in the (D: )drive so that I can remove it manually?

My (C: )drive has more space than my (D: )drive. Now I'm noticing that the (D: )drive is getting even smaller.
    When I bought the Laptop Vista 64bit, the store techies removed the bloatware that I did not want, but I think that the bloatware is still in the D:drive ....am I wrong?
    I want to upgrade it to Wondows 7, but I fear that I won't have space:confused

(C: )drive= Capacity 284.41 GB
    Free Space 207.07 GB
    %Free Space 73%
    (D: )drive= Capacity 13.68 GB
    Free Space 2.10 GB
    %Free Space 15%

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-74, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.48, 17/06/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Canada
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.75 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.09 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.71 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.81 GB
    Page File Space 4.04 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Your feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Shelagh

2. xray

xray Private First Class

D Drive on a laptop is normally a b ackup drive for your OS and caontains the files that a Restore disc would use to put your laptop back to factory condition.

You shouldnt have stored anything or installed anything on that partition...

If you want to upgrade to Windows seven with a legitimate disc then it shouldnt be a problem.

Hope this makes things clearer..

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Your D drive isn't a recovery drive as suggested, it's a regular Windows drive, and there are many ways to find out what is using what space on it. My own favourite is WinDirStat. It takes a while to analyse everything, but gives you the whole picture and allows you to delete stuff too.

http://windirstat.info/

4. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Thanks for the link... I will definitely check this out :)

Shelagh

5. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

A little bit clearer,,, It is appreciated :)

Shelagh

6. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

This question is still on my mind... :confused
    My (C: )drive has more space than my (D: )drive. Now I'm noticing that the (D: )drive is getting even smaller.
    When I bought the Laptop Vista 64bit, the store techies removed the bloatware that I did not want, but I think that the bloatware is still in the D:drive ....am I wrong?

:wave To Earthling.... I looked up the link and it still scares me to try, because the software is not explicit enough to quench my internal dialogue about the usages of editing partitions.

Is there a website that could direct me to my partition question?

Thanks in advance :)

Shelagh

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

That's the purpose of WinDirStat, and why I recommended it to you

You don't need DOS at all, either for removing stuff or for repartitioning.

I don't understand this. Why would you want to shrink it if it was getting more full? You would either need to expand it or delete some stuff.

You can remove it within Vista, no special software is required, but you have to know where it's located of course. Unless you have specifically directed it to save somewhere else it will be in C:\Users\<username>\Downloads. What makes you think it is in D?

Drives just don't get smaller. It's the free space on them that shrinks as stuff is added.

Probably wrong. The bloatware as you call it would have been installed with Vista on C.

If you want to replace Vista with Windows 7, i.e. an upgrade, then you have absolutely oodles of space and do not need to make any changes at all. On the other hand, if you want Windows 7 as well as Vista, a dual boot, then your partitions will need adjusting in size first. Special software is required for this, and comprehensive backups in case errors should occur during the repartitioning. This is most definitely not a job to be tackled by those less experienced.

(C: )drive= Capacity 284.41 GB
    Free Space 207.07 GB
    %Free Space 73%
    (D: )drive= Capacity 13.68 GB
    Free Space 2.10 GB
    %Free Space 15%

This disk info puzzles me. The small D partition is of a size normally used for storing the files used for a system recovery, as Xray suggested. However it is not normal for the recovery partition to have a drive letter and to be visible in My Computer. They are normally formatted differently and only accessible when performing a recovery operation or by using certain system tools. We really do need to know what is being held on this partition.

So you need to be clear about what you want - a Vista upgrade to Windows 7 or a dual boot. And certainly before any partition changes are contemplated we want to know just what it is that is stored on D. That's where WinDirStat will be useful, as it will show you exactly what is on that drive, in size order, and it won't make any changes to anything unless you ask it to.

8. ShelaghRoyale

ShelaghRoyale Sergeant

Thank you so much Earthling for having the patience in helping me brain clear this up :wine
    Now I understand.... :dancer

Shelagh:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds