Vista help...i have no permission...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Clinetyme, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Clinetyme

Clinetyme Private First Class

Im not real educated w/ windows Vista like i am w/ XP, so im stuck. My son went into my start up (msconfig) and unchecked everything, thinkikng it would boot up faster, then he ran some cleaning programs like Spybot search and destroy, AVG, spyware terminator, malware bytes and regseeker, now when i try to do a system restore or try to go back into my start up i get this message ....

"Windows can not access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the item."

Im signed in under the admin and still cant get in. Any response or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated....thx in advance.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Before you enter System Restore you need to right click on it's link and choose Run as Administrator from the little menu.

3. Clinetyme

cant even use system restore....if i go to the start/accesseries/system tools way....i click system tools and nothing happens...i tried to right click and then click open....still nothing....i also tried typing "rstrui" in the run diag box....i get the same message....i dont have permission.....

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Then create a super administrator account. :-D Article here.

5. Clinetyme

thanks einstien....but id rather fix this account.....geesh

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

That was actually what I imagined you would use the super administrator account for. To repair your PC and give yourself you own admin rights back. The link also has guidelines for removing the super admin afterwards.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds