Vista Home Basic internet connectivity problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The wifi adapter will not pick up any networks. The wired adapter recognizes when a cable is plugged into the ethernet port but it responds with a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it down in the system tray by the clock. I have tried running all the built-in repairs; I rebuilt the Winsock entries, I reloaded IPv4 and IPv6, I re-installed the network adapter drivers (both wifi and wired) and none of this has made any difference. I've tried the flushdns and that did nothing, when I try to release the IP's I get error I've attached as a screen shot below.... any ideas?

(BTW- this is a Dell Inspiron1301 laptop and the BIOS is very basic and rudimentary and there are no options for any networking other than enable/disable)

THANKS!

[dlb]

Attached Files:

2. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

you could try to create a new internet connection,delete the old one first.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Thanks, but I've already tried it.... no dice :(

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Maybe this is broken.
    If you have a spare USB adapter, install that and see if it works. At least you will know if it is a hardware (wifi adapter) or a softwrae (Vista configuration) problem.

If it was like that from the beginning, I'm wondering why the customer didn't complain and return the unit to Dell? A computer running still supported OS that can't connect to the internet is almost useless!

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There seems to be an inconsistent network issue here.... it's consistent in that it doesn't work, but now the wired connection doesn't recognize when a cable is plugged in (it did when I started this thread) and now the built-in wifi does see the router/wireless network but won't connect. :confused I tried a USB wifi adapter; it also sees the router and it connects but with 'local only' access or 'limited connectivity' and it seems to change from one to the other. This is a known good USB adapter (I'm using it on a different PC at this very moment to type this) I disabled the on-board wifi when using the USB wifi to be sure the PC wouldn't get 'confused' and it made no difference. So, anyone have any ideas on this? Should I try a repair install? This is driving me freekin' crazy and I'm about throw this thing into a wall :banghead

Thanks!

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Problem solved. Well.... sort of.... I backed up the user's pics/docs/tunes/etc and formatted and re-installed Vista Home Basic. The wifi works perfectly (I'[m using it now) but the wired Broadcom 440x still doesn't always recognize a cable, or not recognize a cable; it is still inconsistent and therefore it's a hardware problem. The on-board wired ethernet is faulty. I had a feeling..... anyway- I guess I'll use a USB-to-Cat5-ethernet adapter and see how that goes (the PCs owner doesn't have a wireless router).

[dlb]
    :major

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Phew, since this computer has Vista it's fairly new. I'd be complaining if I couldn't get on the internet! (Of course, I would not buy a computer with Vista on it.:dancer )

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I agree 100%. If I had to get Vista, I'd at least find out if XP drivers were available before buying....

Anyway- I'm not sure if the PC is under warranty, I'll have to present this as an option to the PCs owner. The USB-to-ethernet adapter worked perfectly (even though it didn't have a Vista driver, the XP driver worked) so at least the dude can now get online.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds