Vista Home Basic updates fail...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Break_Da, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Like the subject line reads... Vista Home Basic is not installing the updates...seems to be stuck in a loop where it won't update past a certain one and always shows the same number of remaining updates still need to be installed. I had downloaded something microsoft thinking it was the fix but once running the fix the operating system still will not update...
    Gurus lend me your advice!!!

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

What service pack is installed and are you getting any error message when it fails ?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you rebooted?
    Are these the updates from Tuesday or are these updates from more than September? If more than one month of updates are missing, what particular updates are you having trouble with?

4. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Sorry so long in reply, I drive over the road now.

Vista Home Basic with never any updates before my trying to.

I started choosing to install only a few updates and they began to show up as successful. Service pack one is showing as successful but under the System it does not show thee service pack one as being part of the computer. I read SP1 needs to be on and since shown as successful I tried to install SP2 but have an error saying SP1 must be installed.

Again in the updates SP1 has been successful but under the System it is not listed. SP2 will not install. Running SP1 to install results in err, 800F081F.

5. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Also... I do not show a listing for SP1 in the viewable updates in the installed updates.

6. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Yes, we'll... the computer was given from a school since it had failed in video, placed new vid card plus drivers; all of this is ok. But while at the school it wasn't hooked to a network used to reach the Internet, therefore never has been updated and my attempts were the very first....

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

SP1 installed successful but not under System or installed updates. Tried reinstalling but got an error message, assuming because 'it is' installed and when I installed SP2 it states to install SP1.

8. plodr

9. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I installed using MS update but after the message saying it was finished SP1 does not show up in System version type or in installed updates, I even looked for the KB number and didn't find the knowledge base number.

I can't install SP2 since the computer does not show SP1 installed and can not run the downloaded SP1 since it was ran from MS AUtomatic update.

10. plodr

11. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Humm, right. I have already downloaded SP1 and tried to install but got the error message listed already. I looked to the download for the same reason, no proof on the computer the service pack was installed. Had the error message then looked to download and install SP2 with an error stating to install SP1, but as mentioned had the error message listed in the previous post.

12. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Are there some reg entries or some other read out I can look for and post for viewing? I am very comfortable with Windows and would be confident to go and do what is asked.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  13. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Still needing help on this

14. plodr

1. Have you run this?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
    2. When you tried the update, did you log in as an administrator and made sure other programs weren't running?
    3. Have you disabled your antivirus?
    4. Have you checked that the drivers are all up to date through the manufacturer's web site?
    5. Check what version of Windows Update agent is running. You might need a newer version.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932494/en-us

If none of those resolves the issue, I'm out of ideas of what to do to get SP1 to install.

15. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

1. i ran after turning off the third party firewall, superantispyware and antivir.
    2. i have been logging in as admin
    4. ran through drivers from manufacturer web site
    5. ran this version of windows update

i still do not see the SP1 being installed in installed updates
    i am totally puzzled, does vista have a rep for not installing updates correctly? i don't have a reinstallation disc to reinstall vista with,

16. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

pic showing what the updates are saying on the fail and success...

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds