Vista Home Premium (32-Bit) Fails to Shutdown

Discussion in 'Software' started by pillowmaker911, Oct 11, 2009.

1. pillowmaker911

pillowmaker911 Private E-2

My computer runs great. I take perfect care of it. There's no spyware, or viruses, no registry issues, etc. Atleast, not that SuperAntiSpyware, CA's security suite, Malwarebyte's Antimalware, and CCleaner, can find.

So I'm confused as to why suddenly my computer will not shut down, or restart. The only way I can turn it off is to do a hard shutdown. It gets to the point where it says "Shutting down..." and the circle just keeps spinning, and spinning, and spinning. I let it sit over night last night to see if it would eventually turn off. This morning (9 hours later) it was still spinning. What is going on, and how can I fix this?

2. pillowmaker911

pillowmaker911 Private E-2

just an FYI, this started happening yesterday and for some reason System Restore was turned off so going back isn't an option >_<

3. Cam-Zilla

Cam-Zilla Private E-2

I am having this exact same problem, with the same system, on an HP Pavillion. My laptop takes it a step further and after the spinning arrow for a while, the screen blacks out and then windows powers back on. It first began to happen sometime after Vista service pack 2 was installed, and a cup of water was spilled across the keyboard. ( the two were not simultaneous, just don't know if either contributed to the problem ) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

The same is happening to me! It's a 32-bit Compaq Presario. It started last week.

5. kris87

kris87 Private E-2

Same is happening to me - happened after I installed the latest Window Updates last week - although I didn't notice until a few days later because my computer wasn't shut down until then. Tried uninstalling the stupid updates to see if it fixed it, but it won't even shut down to go through the uninstall process.

6. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

I have found out by playing, that if I shut off my Anti-Virue (Norton, in my case) that the system shuts down as it should!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds