Vista Home Premium 32bit - can't install SP2 or updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jul 24, 2010.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

This thread is kind of an 'extension' of this thread. It's a totally different issue, thus the new thread....

I get the following error when trying to install SP2 for Vista using the stand-alone installed (475mb +/-) :

The installation was not successful.

Error: ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER(0x80070057)

I would have posted a screen shot (and might attach one to a future post if needed) but the laptop in question is in mid-SFC scan.... all the attempts to install updates online were also unsuccessful, that's why I'm using the stand-alone SP2 installer.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, I figured I'd try to install SP2 again so I could post a screen shot of the error, and wouldn't you know it, this time I got a totally different error: 0x80041006 (which is weird 'cuz out of 5 or 6 previous attempts, they always had the error number listed above in post #1). I did some real quick Googling and found it may be an "out of memory" type error. So I right clicked "Computer" went to "Properties" to see how much RAM was installed, and it reported "Not available". So I ran Speccy and got the same error!!! Screenshots attached below.... any ideas? anyone? anything??? :crybaby

(the first screen shot is identical to the error mentioned in the 1st post above, but the error number is different; but visually, the error dialog and window is the same)

Attached Files:

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:banghead GEEEZZZ!!!! It's one thing after another . . . I went to look at the Event Viewer, and the entries in the Windows System log stop at 3/3/2010!!! There are NO entries after March 3!!! I may be looking at a format and clean install here. I have run several malware/virus scans, and nothing was found....

:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds