Vista Home Premium 64 crashes when copying files wirelessly to D-Link DNS-323

Discussion in 'Software' started by edm300, Jan 16, 2009.

1. edm300

edm300 Private E-2

I recently purchased a D-Link DNS-323 two bay wireless network enclosure. Inside the enclosure are 2 drives (SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II w/ NCQ, 32MB Cache).

Each time I try to copy files from my laptop to the drives in the DNS-323, my computer crashes and I get a bluescreen error. Upon loading up, I'm noticing another error showing up in the Problems Reports and Solutions from within the Control Panel.

Bluescreen error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware orsoftware. Disbale BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000, 0XFFFFF80001E16307)

Collecting data for crash dump...
    Initilializing disk for crash dump...
    Beginning dump of physical memory.
    Dumping physical memory to disk:

Error message from Problem Reports and Solutions in the Control Panel:

Problem caused by Sigmatel C-Major audio driver, which was created by Integrated Device Technology, Inc. and is distributed by your computer manufacturer.

HP has told me to do several things:

Run patches (which when ran told me they don't apply to my computer)

Full system recovery

Startup repair

As well as suspecting corrupt boot files or corrupt virtual memory settings.

HP tried to tell me the issue was with SEAGATE.

SEAGATE tells me the issue is not the drives, it's either the computer hardware or Vista Home Premium 64.

D-Link says the issue is not the DNS-323

HP is unable to resolve!!!!

The issue doesn't make sense... it's just transferring files wirelessly. The drives and DNS-323 should have nothing to do with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

So we are dealing with a laptop issue only here?
    What make ,model,brand is the LT?

Tells us where the problem is ...on board audio drivers

I may have missed that you already tried this, but try reinstalling/updating the drivers for it(Sigmatel C-Major audio driver)

This may just be the first crumb in the trail, but it is a place to start.

3. edm300

edm300 Private E-2

I think it's a laptop issue only here.
    It's an HP Pavilion dv7-1014ca

I tried to find an audio driver for Sigmatel C-Major audio driver, but couldn't find anything on the HP website.

I really don't understand how an audio driver could impact the computer copying files wirelessly to an external drive.

Any suggestions on where I can download the audio driver? Or other suggestions?

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Ryan

4. edm300

edm300 Private E-2

Well, HP gave me an Audio driver to install today, along with flash BIOS. Neither did the trick.

Now HP wants me to delete the dump files? Not sure why that would help, but I guess I'll try that. And they for some reason want me to remove and re-install my ram.

HP is really making me wonder if they actually know what they're talking about!

They also keep telling me to re-install Vista, even though I already did that with no success.

If anyone out there has had this problem and resolved it, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

6. edm300

edm300 Private E-2

No, I don't think there was anything about storport.sys in any of the error messages. I think I have it fixed... keeping my fingers crossed that it will continue working. I managed to copy 78Gb last night without crashing. I had to adjust the virtual memory so that it was not in automatic mode. However, just because it worked last night, doesn't mean it's totally solved... could have made it all the way without crashing by total fluke. It seems to crash at random times during the process of copying. I'm going to try transfering large amounts a few more times just to confirm if it's working properly or not.

Thanks to everyone who assisted. Your efforts were appreciated!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds