Vista Home Premium Recovery Disks

Discussion in 'Software' started by ichase, Nov 16, 2010.

1. ichase

ichase Corporal

I'm about to give a Toshiba laptop back to it's owner after getting it all back up and running. I would like to provide the owner with Recovery disks. I am aware of the repair disks at http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/window...disc-download/
    Which I actually used to get into this laptop to begin with, but like 99% of the computers sold today, it did not come with Vista Home Premium disks nor did it have a recovery partition included.
    I have done much reading and I am coming to the conclusion that Vista home premium does not have an option for creating restore disks in case at some point the computer is completely un-recoverable and would need a fresh install. Not that I am saying this IS going to happen but "Failure is NOT an option....It comes bundled with Windows" :-D
    Any one have any suggestions. I plan on telling the owner to contact the manufacturer for a set.

Thanks,

Ian

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Toshiba charges about $25 for restore disks, which is cheap enough I would consider it money well spent.

Alternatively, you can look here and click on the link in the second paragraph.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Also, encourage the owner to buy Acronis True Image and every few months, create an image.

Restoring a computer to its factory settings gives peace of mind BUT then you have the problem of patching and updating everything which takes time. Restoring from a month or two old image is definitely a much better solution.

4. ichase

ichase Corporal

Thanks a bunch Mimsy for supplying the link. I have read there was a way to make these disks, but finding the exact location of the program with-in Vista had not been easy. :)

5. ichase

ichase Corporal

I agree 100% plodr, but the owner is a 21 Y/O that knows NOTHING about computers except for the basics and only wants something to hold pictures, music and a way to get to the Internet to be on Facebook. :) The owner was DL music via P2P with-out ANY virus software installed. Hopefully I will not be getting a call in 2 months, but would not be surprised either. :)***I did install AV software.

6. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

" Vista home premium does not have an option for creating restore disks "
    Well thats a new one on me as i have just finished doing one just the other week, unless this only started happening after a certain date ! :confused:confused

7. ichase

ichase Corporal

I read something along the lines that the Beta version of Home let you but eventually this option was removed. :confused:confused Going to try the directions from the link Mimsy provided and hope for the best. Other than that, the owner can purchase recovery disks.

8. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Good Luck, after all, as you said, you can always put the onus onto the owner ! :);)

9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Oh wow. May I suggest giving the owner a crash course in basic computer safety, for his or her own good? Fishing lessons are a good, good thing, especially if you're their go-to guy for computer support!

10. ichase

ichase Corporal

I plan on it. :)
    Seems as if what I read was correct that the Home Premium edition of Vista does not have the recovery disk maker installed. I am providing the owner the link you gave me to purchase a set. Considering I did this for free, I think it is well worth her paying $25 for recovery disk. Also plan on telling her to purchase an external HD to put her pictures and other things important to her.
    All you can do is explain what they need to do and it's up to them to comply.
    Thanks for all the great advice.

Ian

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds