Vista installed,want to install XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by ecckles, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ecckles

ecckles Private E-2

Is it possible to add XP to an external HD ,so that I can use Vista & XP when ever I chose.

The reason being is I have a lot of bought software not compatible with Vista,and I do have a full version of XP.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm not sure if that article stresses the importance of making sure that you have all the XP drivers that you need for your particular hardware. That's the usual stumbling block.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Good point, augiedoggie. Indeed, the article does not cover that aspect of installing Win XP.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Oh ecckles, have you tried to install your programs under Vista's 'compatibility' mode first?

6. ecckles

ecckles Private E-2

Augiedoggie;
    yes that was the first thing I did,and for a while I could make most work in XP compatible mode,but with the continueous microsoft updates downloaded over time the more problems Ive been getting until most of the older software dont work at at all,but is still ok on an XP Pc.
    I wil follow your last instruction and try and set up a dual OS system.
    Many thanks to all

7. ecckles

ecckles Private E-2

Apologises to usafveteren,it was he who suggested & gave the link on setting up a dual boot

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds