[Vista] Installing a theme - already downloaded, trying to locate the .theme file

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spanglegluppet, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Spanglegluppet

Spanglegluppet Private E-2

Hey all,

I've seen several tutorials online for installing themes on Windows Vista. I've patched the necessary files using VistaGlazz, and have downloaded themes from various sites. The instructions tell you to move both the folder and the .theme file into the C:/Windows/Resources/Themes folder, but all the file seems to download is the folder. Where would I find the .theme file? All of the tutorials that I've seen just seem to assume that there's a .theme file there, but in all of the themes that I've downloaded (from various sites), there doesn't seem to be one.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The folder is the one I highlighted in Blue ( you will also have some files in this one in second screenshot below ) and the .theme file is the one highlighted in red.

[​IMG]

second screenshot, with contents of theme folder ( the icon here may look like a theme file but it is not its a style file )

[​IMG]

Where are you getting these themes from?

I have uploaded the one I'm using in the images above for you to try if you wish, here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/ah683z

3. Spanglegluppet

Thanks a lot for your reply, but I meant locating the .theme file to move into the Themes folder in the first place. I can't seem to find it in the downloaded file.

I've worked out a solution for now though, by replacing the Aero .msstyle file with the downloaded one and renaming it. It seems to work fine, unless there's another solution.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Thats why I asked where you getting the themes from as it seems that they not complete for some reason as all the ones I have downloaded come as the one I uploaded, so should be in the zip or archive.

Hey if that workaround works, then great.

But if you link me to the site of one you downloaded one off, I could double check it for you, to see if they have packaged up the files in a different way?

5. Spanglegluppet

The one I'm using came from myvistathemes.com. I also tried a few off deviantart. :)

6. 9smile

9smile Private E-2

I got the same problem when i downloaded the theme from http://www.9vistathemes.com
    I am running Windows Vista. I downloaded the NewAero theme from http://www.9vistathemes.com when I go into the theme personalization thing, it says that it isn't there. and I can't get the theme as a .theme file. I may try to your suggests

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds