Vista laptop will not boot after windows updates

Discussion in 'Software' started by saltyboy, Dec 16, 2010.

1. saltyboy

saltyboy Guest

Hi guys,
    need real help here need my laptop for work in morning and have come to turn it on but noticed updates so installed them now my laptop will not boot up and keeps going to start up repair and just keeps hanging there and not finding anything.

please can anyone help would much appreciate it.

2. grandma11

grandma11 Private E-2

my toshibal laptop is hanging up on the updates . it gets to 3of 3 and stays there . what do i do? i am new at this geek board so hope i havent posted to wrong board.....thanks...

3. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,

You should of created a new thread instead of dredging up an old post!!

Anyway not to worry... back to your issue.... have you tried installing the updates one at a time?? go to start> programs> windows update> search new for new updates and select them one at a time to install.

Hope this helps.

4. grandma11

grandma11 Private E-2

sorry if i posted wrogn i dont know how to create a new thread i am new at this....................my laptop is hung on update 3 of 3 i cant get it off of that. i cant go back to start menus.. i need to know what i might need to do .. to get it off the 3 of 3.. it only stays on the update for a second then shuts down and starts all over again...................................:-o

5. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    Ok I need for you to start your laptop in "safemode with networking" (press f8 on re-boot) to see if you get the same issue. Am I right in thinking that your laptop is stuck in a continious loop (where the install will not finish and your laptop re-boots itself over and over??).
    Could you also tell me what version of windows you are using i.e... win9*/2000/ME/Vista or Win 7... and also at what service pack it is running.

6. grandma11

grandma11 Private E-2

yes it is stuck on the windows updates. it is stuck on the 3 of 3 updats.............i have windows vista home premium and i dont know about the service pack sorry............

7. grandma11

grandma11 Private E-2

I started my laptop in the net working mode and still have the same problem it is still hung up on updates

8. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi,
    I think we should try to roll back your computer to before these updates tried to take effect....
    follow these instructions.....

Go to Start..> right click Computer> properties> System Protection> System Restore> on the next page go with the selected restore point that windows has picked> next> Finish. Your system then should restore to an earlier date.

for more detailed instructions take a look here....

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

if the restore works then we need to search for new windows updates... Start> programs> windows updates... if there are any updates available follow instructions in snapshots...

[​IMG]

after clicking on viewe updates de-select all but one, then install and reboot, follow the same instructions for the other 2 if you get stuck on the third again then go back to the beggining of these instructions and start over, except this time de-select all but the one that is making your system hang, right click on this update and select "hide update" this will stop it from been installed now and in the future unless you un-hide it.

I hope that I have explained it clear enough for you... if you have anymore issues or are uncertain how to procede then just post back and we will try to talk it through better for you.

9. grandma11

grandma11 Private E-2

When i turn on my laptop the screen tht appears says " 3 of 3 updates " and i cant get any other screens to come up....it is stuck on that...........it keeps trying to update that 3 of 3 updates but after a few seconds shuts itself off and starts all over again and goes bacxk to that same screen,......i cant go to any more screens want let me...................

10. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you hit F8 to get to the Advanced/Safe Startup options do you have an option "Repair your Computer"? If you do try that and let it try to automatically fix startup problems. It probably won't find any so hit the Next button which should give you a screen with five options including System Restore. See if you can go back to a date before the updates started. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/repair-windows-with-windows-startup-repair/

Then we have to find out which update is causing the problem. I know I have seen the Vista 3 of 3 problem before.

I know safe mode with networking doesn't work but this says Safe Mode should be an option: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

Various links to the problem which I haven't looked through yet: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=12&...on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=4c93637fadcbea61

11. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

If that does not work, you may want to try:

Using a boot CD or from the recovery console... delete ALL pending*.xml files from this directory : C:\Windows\winsxs

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds