Vista Local Access Only. Im going INSANE.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ffaf_love, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ffaf_love

ffaf_love Private E-2

I have just bought a BRAND NEW Dell Studio Laptop.
    It runs with Vista and I'm pretty competent using a computer but im sorry, I'm useless with understanding Technical phrases.
    Anyway. I used a Compaq Presario for the last 4 years, that ran on Xp.
    My house is an Old Stone Manse, it has thick walls so wireless connection is hard to get from upstairs, for that reason my tech guy put A main 3com wireless router in my living room, and another 3com one upstairs that doesnt have an internet connection of its own. It seemed to just get the signal of the main router and extend it or boost it, so we would have full internet acces upstairs. Im 17 and I Sit in my room doing homework or whatever on my laptop, and so It was vital I need internet acces up there.

So heres the problem.
    In my Living room i can connect to the internet fine.

Here, when i hover over the wireless thing on the tray it says

Currently connected to:
    3Com
    Access: Local and Internet

When Im upstairs in my room, it sometimes lets me connect to the internet but other times it just says
    "Acces: Limited"
    or "Access: Local only"

Now Ive looked allover the web for answers. It seems this is a major problem for people with Vista.
    I use the internet every day, I listen to music in my room with youtube while I work and I play the odd online game.
    If i cant connect to my internet up there Im gona go mad.

Ive tried a few things I will list

1) Turning pc off lol
    2) restarting router
    3) updating everything i coulp possibly update
    4) Turning Ipv6 or whatever its called off
    5) tried making a static Ip but i couldnt find my default gateway so i couldnt do that
    6) Looked allover the microsft help forums and Found something to do with changing something in the registry and i just dont feel comfortable doing that + i went into the registry followed the path it showed me and then it said click the {GUID} that matches my router and im like WTF is that lol >.<

So I beg anyone to help me. I appreciate it even if you cant help me. ZOMG MICROSOFT

Ive attached a document with what i got when i typed Ipconfig /all into CMD, maybe you can see something from that :p

Attached Files:

2. ffaf_love

ffaf_love Private E-2

Wow, no-one have any suggestions?

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Try checking Power Save Mode on your wifi adapter.
    Make sure any power save features are disabled.

4. COSCstudent

COSCstudent Private E-2

There are so many different things that could be going wrong with your computer, but since you are working just fine wireless right near your router but then you lose your connectivity when you move farther away from your router, this makes me think it could only be one thing. You need to either somehow extend your router's range or something else to help boost the signal because that just sounds like you are only getting 1-2 bars of connectivity to your router and you need AT LEAST 2 bars connection to your router to be able to have internet connectivity. You have yet to say just how strong your connection is (how many bars), so that is what it makes me think. If you have problems, repost here and I'll try and pay attention and keep giving ideas. I doubt seriously though, that it is Vista.

Sincerely,
    COSCstudent

You can never excel at something you don't truly enjoy.
    - Jack Nicklaus

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds