Vista machine unable to access Internet / Windows update after Malware removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by adamjs, May 1, 2011.

1. adamjs

adamjs Private E-2

Hello,

A friend of a friends mom heard that I was a computer guy so her laptop got handed off to me to fix. I received no information as to what the problem was or when it started giving them trouble, they just said its slow and they cant get online. I removed quite a bit of malware and a rootkit and I thought my troubles were over. I was able to get online with IE8 (Not Chrome or Firefox though) that day and do a Windows update, but I havent been able to get back online since. I've re-ran SAS, ComboFix and TDSS and none of them come up with anything. I've checked to see if its using a proxy but I didn't see any.

Windows Vista
    Has valid IP address (wired and wireless)
    Able to ping sites like google.com and get a response
    Same results when booting into safemode with networking

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, adamjs, and welcome to MajorGeeks.

Even though you've run some scans, I strongly suggest you go through the Malware Forum's Read & Run Me First thread, perform all of the suggested steps, and attach the requested logs to a new thread in that forum.

Once the gurus there give you the all clear, then we'll tackle any remaining problems and try to get you sorted.

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds