Vista power plans?

Discussion in 'Software' started by askantik, Jun 7, 2008.

1. askantik

askantik Sergeant

K guys,

(In case no one knows what I'm talking about, in Vista (Home Premium), go to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options and click on "Change Plan Settings.")

Now, there are all kinds of options. My question is, do any of these make a significant performance increase? By default, Vista is set to a standard "Balanced," but you can tweak it however you like. Inside the "Change Plan Settings," I saw a thing called PCI Express - Link State Power Management. If I turn off power-saving for this function, will it make a difference for gaming?

Also, if any of this does make a difference performance-wise, should I (if applicable...) disable power-saving for this PCI Express thing, or should I set my whole computer to "High Performance?" If I set my computer to "High Performance," will my computer use significantly more power? It is a desktop if I haven't mentioned that already, with a 500 watt PSU. I have an mATX boarrd with 2x2GB RAM, AM2 6200+, and Radeon X1950PRO.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I like all the options Vista gives you on this, just don't know how much of a difference they really make. :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Okay, thanks :D

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

No probs, also I should have said and its just come flashing back.... if you do wish to conserve power then set to High Performance and then go through the list and manually tailor your requirements to power savings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds