vista problem: how do i cancel "run as administrator" for a single program?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MellowMan, Aug 9, 2007.

1. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

someone on my computer made firefox a "run as administrator" program now every time it runs it gives me that stupid conformation box, and my back/forward buttons don't work on my mouse anymore (but work fine under IE7)
    How do I get rid of this problem, and make firefox a normal program again?

thanks for all replies.

2. tym

tym Corporal

3. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This link describes how to set a program to run as administrator. I would imagine you only need to change from 'Run this program as an administrator' under 'Privilege Level' to something lower, using the same steps.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very likely that you need to reverse the steps in Senario 2 in Mada's link above as that is the general way many set "Run as Admin" should'nt need to go to group policy.

and basically Right click either the shortcut or the .exe to Firefox and click Properties and under Compatability untick at bottom "run as administrator"

6. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

run as administrator is not ticked, I am Still having the same problem...

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did you check both the shortcut and the firefox.exe in Program Files?

If so then whoever did this went the unconventional route through GPedit, in that case follow all the steps in Mada's link.

If those dont work then save your bookmarks etc and re-install Firefox, with which ever is latest version, but UAC should not affect Firefox, so try this run Firefox safe mode which is Firefox without all the addons, as one of them may be triggering UAC ( Start > All Programs and in the Mozilla/Firefox folder click the Firefox Safe Mode version ).

When UAC pops up, click the details link in the popup and does it give an application name?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds