Vista recovery - bootmgr missing

Discussion in 'Software' started by tadpole, Jan 6, 2011.

1. tadpole

tadpole Private First Class

Hi

I tried to do a factory restore on my HP Pavilion dv6 1125ei. I have been getting bootmgr missing when trying to restore from the recovery partician. I then tried using the recovery disks. On the 2nd recovery disk at 86% I am getting either error 1002 or error 1005.

I have tried a few ms dos fixes for bootmgr, although some say they are successful, the message is still comming up.

Can anyone please help with either the error 1002 and error 1005 or the missing bootmgr?

I do have a retail vista home premium disk, but if possible would like to get the factory restore back.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Sounds like you might have a bad recovery disc. I'd call HP and ask for a new set.

3. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Try this :
    Set your computer to boot from DVD (using the Boot setting in the BIOS), insert the disc and restart. Vista will prompt you for language and keyboard layout options, then ask if you want to reinstall Vista or repair your installation. You want Repair. From there Vista's System Recovery Tool will take over, and lead you down the road to a happy vista again. ;)

4. tadpole

Hi

You could be right. I remember when I made the discs, I got a message telling me they had been successfully created. I was wondering if it is possible to copy the boot.ini file from my retail disc to my laptop via command prompt?

My laptop is from South Africa, and it would take days to get a new set of discs from them, if they had them which I doubt. I had no luck getting them with my previous HP laptop.

5. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Most probably, give it a try, to get into your bios boot try hitting F2 or F11 on boot !

6. tadpole

Hi

I have tried that, and got a message that it was unable to automatically fix the error:(

7. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Have you tried chkdsk, which checks your hdd for faults, the bit at the bottom may be of more info to you " Using the Command Line Interface "

Many errors in Windows are caused by corrupt files. Those files could have become corrupt because of errors on your hard drive. The Check Disk tool checks for errors and attempts to fix any it finds.
    Warning: Use Check Disk at your own risk. On rare occasions I’ve experienced problems when using check disk in Windows Vista. Here are a few things to watch out for:

• If you run check disk and your computer has to be restarted to scan your computer and your computer hangs at a black screen when it boots up, do the following:Turn the computer off and back on and immediately start pressing F8 on your keyboard repeatedly. A black screen with different boot options will appear. Select to use the Last known good configuration (advanced) boot option.
    • Never stop check disk once it has started. It could take hours to days to scan your hard drive depending on its size.
    How-to Use Check Disk

Using the Graphical User Interface (GUI)

1. Open the Start Menu and click Computer.
    2. Right-click the drive you want to perform a check disk on and select Properties.
    3. Click the Tools tab in the drive Properties window.[​IMG]
    4. Click Check Now under error checking.
    5. To perform a complete check of your hard drive for errors check off both options in the check disk window that pops up.[​IMG]
    6. Click the Start button to start the process.
    7. If you are trying to check a hard drive that has open files you’ll get a message similar to the one shown below.[​IMG]
      Click Schedule disk check. Disk check can’t check a hard drive that has open files. Your computer will reboot and check the disk before Windows Vista boots up. If you want to cancel the scheduled disk check for any reason, check out this guide.
    Using the Command Line Interface
    Check Disk can also be run using the command line (DOS) prompt.

1. Open the command prompt with administrative privileges by typing cmd in the search box in the Start Menu and right-click cmd.exe in the search results and then select Run as Administrator.
    2. Type chkdsk followed by one or a combination of switches listed below in the command prompt.
    If you run the check disk (chkdsk) command from the command prompt by typing just chkdsk check disk will run in read only mode. All it does is check for errors. It will not fix any errors it finds unless told to do so. This is done by adding switches when typing chkdsk in the command prompt.
    A switch looks something like chkdsk /F. Notice the switch /F after the chkdsk command.
    Below is a list of most of the switches used with the check disk command. You can use one or a combination of switches with the check disk command.
    D: If you want check disk to scan a drive other than the C: drive, add the drive letter after chkdsk to tell it to scan that drive. If the drive is called X: on your computer it would look like chkdsk X:.
    /F: The /F switch is the most common of the chkdsk switches. It tells chkdsk to fix any errors it finds. Chkdsk can’t fix errors on a disk that has open files. If chkdsk asks you if you want to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots or dismount the drive choose to check the drive next time Windows Vista boots. Never choose to dismount the drive. That option should only be used by a professional.
    /R: The /R switch tells chkdsk to attempt to recover any bad sectors of the hard drive if any are found. A bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that can’t hold saved data anymore.
    /I: The /I switch tells chkdsk to perform a less detailed but faster disk check.
    /C: The /C switch tells chkdsk to skip the checking of cycles within a folder structure which reduces the scan time. Don’t ask me what this means.
    An example of an exhaustive disk check using the command line interface is:
    chkdsk D: /F /R
    The check disk command shown above will fix any errors it finds and also attempt to recover bad sectors of the D: drive if any are found.

8. tadpole

I am currently only able to boot from cd/dvd. F11 tells me bootmgr is missing.

9. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

10. tadpole

I read through that article, and started on it :

bootre.exe /fixmbr
    x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force (using e: for cd drive)

That worked and got the message :

successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode for drive C: and D:

the next step :

del C:\boot\bcd is returning :

system could not find the file specified. I tried the cmd from x: , e: and c:

I currently have no OS on my laptop as the recovery disks failed before loading it with errors 1002 and 1005.

11. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Then i suggest you get in touch with HP themselves or see if you can get a boot disc from someone !
    Or another option would be to run SFC Scannow and it may shoe you which file is missing click this link http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147786

12. tadpole

I had already tried chkdsk, chkdsk/f and chekdsk c: /r they all found no problems - grrr!!!

13. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Then i suggest you try and get a full working boot disc from someone you may know, and do a full reboot !

14. tadpole

I have a vista home premium os disc - retail, I just don't know how to copy the bootmgr from it to my laptop, so as to be able to use f11 which is also missing the bootmgr!

I also have the UBCD4 WIN iso, but havn't figured out which option to choose. I made it prior to trying a recovery in case I hit problems.

15. tadpole

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I eventually just installed my retail version of vista.

16. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Glad you got sorted in the end, finally ! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds