vista restart in sleep mode and even otherwise sometime

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bindu, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Bindu

Bindu Private E-2

I have vista home premium.
    And sometime it just restarts on its on.
    It happens mostly when its in sleep mode.I put it in sleep mode and when i come back sometime later its not in sleep mode anymore with a message on screen(dialog box) saying " windows shut down unexpectedly.Report to microsoft for solution".Even if i report to microsoft site ,their site responds with " no solution for this problem".
    Is it something serious?
    It also happens sometime when i am working on my system .In that case i saw( sometime) blue screen appearing fastly before restarting which says something like "dumping memory on ......" ( i can't remember very well... rolleyes)

Should i just shut down my system if i don't need to use it for 3-4 hours?

2. Bindu

Bindu Private E-2

ok.It happened again.So i am attaching the snapshot of the diolog box that appears.

Attached Files:

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Is your Windows Vista fully updated to Service Pack 2?

This could be a multitude of things that cause this from temperature to faulting drivers, so what I would do is make sure the cooling vents if a laptop are clean from dust, if a desktop also make sure the cooling vents are free from dust, but also make sure the CPU heatsink and fan are free from any dust.

To monitor temps use this http://majorgeeks.com/SpeedFan_d337.html and tell us what the temps of CPU and Motherboard/syste, are after say 30mins use.

Check your PC makers site for updated drivers, main ones are Chipset, Network, Video and USB.

Do tell us what the BSOD code and any file names it mentioned are, but as you have likely had a crash dump, then follow this GUIDE and attach the dump log.

4. Bindu

Bindu Private E-2

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply.
    1) I updated Window vista to Service Pack 2 after you told me.
    2)I downloaded SpeedFan as you said and its readings just now are:
    HD0:56c
    Temp1:71c
    Temp2:69c
    Core0:68c
    Core1:68c

Before i connected to internet only last two readings were visible and they were sometime as large as 84c.
    It also happens sometime that when i try to go to sleep mode the system does not go to sleep mode and monitor goes off (ie. screen off).Then i have to shut down using power button on my laptop.I noticed that it happens when laptop is very hot.( above 60c).What are normal temperatures for laptop to be in.And what are the harms if it climbs to as high as 80.

3) I ran HP update for new updates and they say that there are no new updates for my system.Is there any other way i can check for these updates.

4) I don't know what were my BSOD codes as i did not read them when my system crashed with blue screen.How can i get BSOD codes?

5)I followed the guide( how to debug memory dumps). ( I had to turn off UAC to open the .dmp file.)
    Dump log is attached.

-Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi bindu, Those temp's are a bit high [should be under 50c] it is likely that your laptop is overheating and causing a component to malfunction...

It is also possible [like halo said] that it is a driver issue....

To check for driver problems, try booting into safmode [tap F8 as you boot up]
    If it runs ok in ther then it is a driver/software problem. [let it run for as long as needed to make sure]

If it persists in safemode and the fans are spinning then it is probable that the fan and heat sink need to be cleaned.

HOWEVER this can be quite a task on a laptop, are you confident with opening your lappy to have a look inside?

DON'T DO IT IF YOUR NOT SURE!!... AS YOU MAY NOT GET IT BACK TOGETHER EASILY!!!

Q

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Bindu,

Your crash dump suggests it's the Ethernet controller implicated in this issue, upgrading to the latest version may fix it.

If you only connect via wireless, you can disable the ethernet controller (Marvell Yukon) in Device Manager.

Raising the rear of the laptop by 1" (25mm) or so will also help to keep the temperatures down.

7. Bindu

Bindu Private E-2

Hi Satrow and ~Q~,
    Thanks for help.
    I updated Ethernet controller.
    And i also updated BIOS to latest version( as sugested by HP Support).
    I also updated my other drivers.
    And I put my notebook on table wih rear raised to 1".
    And so far for two days, temprature of my system is below 50 mostly.:)
    May be it worked.what worked actually,I don't know.I have a feeling that updating Ethernet controller did it cause even after updating BIOS there was no improvement. or just the winter has started.Since three days its raining with cold atmosphere.I don't know.But i guess outside temperature has nothing much to do with temperature of the system.What do you say?
    And i want to know howcome that updating drivers cools down the temperature?I am curious.Please tell me.:confused.

---Regards.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  8. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi Bindu, If it was the driver causing this, then the reason it fixed the heating will have been because, basically any sort of error makes the computer do more work for the desired result.
    More work = More cycles = More heat :(

Not to mention some laptops will overheat if you look at them too hard :p

Glad your all sorted anyhoo :)

Q

9. Bindu

Bindu Private E-2

Yes, I guessed so.More CPU work caused overheating.It means that even faulty drivers can get the work done.
    And i think i learnt a few things from this problem.Like checking if it is really a Driver problem or not( by running in safe mode).But i did not geta chance to do so,as it seems my problem is cured now.

"Not to mention some laptops will overheat if you look at them too hard
    "
    Yes, even i feel so!:)

Thanks a million.Really.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds