Vista SP2 Hangs at Startup

Discussion in 'Software' started by axelbrora, Apr 30, 2011.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

Vista has recently started to "hang" at boot up. It happens at the black screen after the Microsoft green flickering bar and just before the blue "Welcome to Windows" screen comes up. It does go on and boot up eventually, but the wait is usually over a minute and sometimes much longer. I have not installed any new software or made any changes to my system other than Windows updates.

It used to boot up very quickly with no long pauses so can anyone help me track down and fix this problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Have you checked your stratup programs for any software that might have snuck in to your startup programs? Use msconfig.exe, and look at the Startup tab for extra entries that can be eliminated.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi axelbrora

What Service Pack is your Vista at

If you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with networking) does your PC boot ok?

For startups you could attach us a list of your startups and we can see what if anything could be causing the issue (don't manage startups on a permanent basis with msconfig), follow the below as written.

Have you done any malware scans, to check if you have an infection?

4. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

I have SP2 as stated in the heading. The computer boots OK into safe mode and I have done various malware scans including Superantispyware and Malwarebytes.

I have attached the CCleaner Startup as requested and also the Hijack This log.

Thanks in advance.

Axel

Attached Files:

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try clicking Start and type msconfig into the Start Search box and hit enter, then click the startup tab and disable everything apart from Microsoft Security Essentials and reboot, does your PC boot ok to the speed it used too?

Your HJT log is ok, but HiJackThis doesn't show as much as people think it does its way way overused, to get a better assessment of your PC being malware free the guide run as is and the logs attached to a new post in our malware forum, for the folks in that area to look over will give you a definitive yay or nay to malware present.

6. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

Yes that appears to have worked, still a pause but only a few seconds.

Should I leave everything disabled?

Axel

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds