Vista to XP again - HP DV9700 laptop driver blues

Discussion in 'Software' started by ancientdad, Sep 11, 2008.

1. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

Guys - it's me again, Vista-hater - I've tried everything and can only find a few XP drivers for the Pavilion dv9700 (service tag dv9810us) AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-60, and the Vista drivers found at HP and elsewhere aren't compatible either (tried just in case). Here's the hardware I still need drivers for:

nVidia MCP67M video
    nVidia nForce Network
    Conexant HD SmartAudio 221

After lots of searching, I have the Atheros AR5007 WLAN driver.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks again in advance!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Conexant HD Audio for Windows XP
    Before installing the audio, click this link for a direct download of the KB888111 UAA Audio Driver from Microsoft. Install it and reboot if prompted. Then install the audio driver.

I was able to find a whole bunch of drivers that might work for the video, but instead of linking you to half a dozen different drivers, it would REALLY save some time if you could either attach an Everest report or an Unknown Devices report. Both programs are free downloads, and are available here at Major Geeks. Unknown Devices is really easy to use; to save a report after you run it, just click File and it offers to 'Save List' or something similar. Then attach the report to a future post. DO NOT POST THE REPORTS IN LINE!! Doing so will make your post really long and less likely to be read, so attach it instead. Here's the info for Everest:
    (above instructions originally posted by MG member musksnipe... thanks muskie!)

Click here to download Unknown Devices. If in doubt, attach both reports! ;)

(we'll go for the network drivers after we get the reports)

3. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

Thanks for the info on Everest. I downloaded it and ran a report - it mentions 2 Atheros wifi entries, probably because I found a slightly different Atheros driver that made the wifi work. I've attached the report.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  4. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

BTW dlb, I installed the KB888111 and then the Conexant driver, and the sound still doesn't work. Could I have mucked up the situation by trying other drivers previously? I tried a few from slightly earlier Compaq and HP models, hoping to find one that would work.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I wasn't 100% sure on the audio driver so I'm not surprised it didn't work. According to the Everest report, your video drivers are already installed. If you can look on the bottom of the laptop and find a small white sticker; it will have the full true model number. It will probably show "dv9700" and then a couple lines below that will be the actual model number; something like dv9724us (for example). If you can supply that number, it would be great. Additionally, a report from Unknown Devices would be helpful too. It only shows the hardware that does not have any drivers installed which is very helpful. But it may have your XP product key included in the report so be sure to edit that out (you don't want to share your key with the web world!). In the meantime, I'll do some more research and I'll see what I can find....

6. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

On the white tag underneath, it calls the dv9810us number the "service tag", kinda like Dells have - that's why I mentioned it in my first post, cuz I know HP has sub-models aplenty. The s/n is CNF811075D and the p/n is KN869UA#ABA. I have to leave right now, but I'll post the other report in a couple hours when I get back. I knew I had installed a video driver that seemed to work, but wanted to know if there was a better one for the hardware. Thanks!

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Excellent! That model number will definitely make things a bit easier (I hope?). I attached a screen shot below from Unknown Devices with some info that you should add to the report it will generate. When you run it, click "List" at the top and one of the choices will be to "Save list to file". DO that and you'll have a .txt file called "Devices" in your "My Documents" folder. Then use the info in the screen shot below to add some stuff to the report. The first shot is the main Unknown Devices window; the second shot is what you'll see when you right click on a device and select "Device Details".

Attached Files:

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You can try this driver for the network controller; it also includes the chipset driver, but it may be best to extract the files (use TUGzip or maybe 7zip) and then install using the Hardware Wizard > Have Disk method where you'd point the wizard to the driver folder. It appears that your laptop was sold with different sound chips; the Conexant (we tried that already) and the RealTek. Since you've already installed KB888111, go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall any sound drivers listed there. Then try this driver for the audio. Without the the Unknown Devices report, it's hard to say for sure what will work and what won't....
    :-D Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

9. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

dlb,

Sorry I wasn't able to post the 2nd report last night - I got back later than expected, and either the MG server was busy or my local FiOS was overloaded last night, but I was unable to get to the forums page, only the main MG page. Here's the enhanced Unknown Devices report. Thanks for the drivers you've added, I'll try them this morning. I appreciate all your efforts!!: -D

Attached Files:

10. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

dlb,

I used the extracted driver package (TUGzip works way better than 7zip for that) and got the network and SMBus, etc. handled. After uninstalling the previous sound driver, I tried the one you sent the link to as well as various other Conexant versions I located, and now the sound works - but it's non-adjustable! Can't raise or lower the volume and can't mute - and thinking it might have been related to the Quick Launch buttons not being operative, I loaded the HPQ0007 drivers as well. Now the Quick Launch buttons make sounds and seem operative, but the volume is still fixed and non-adjustable. From the results so far, it looks like this HP laptop is one that likely won't ever be completely correct, but it runs really well with XP on it so the minor flaws aren't that big a deal.

Other than the sound glitch, the only remaining unfinished driver situation is the 1394 host controller. I really appreciate all your help, you guys are always great.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you don't use any 1394 devices (a.k.a. FireWire) then you probably can just right click it and select disable in the Device Manager. Strange the volume doesn't work for the sound. :confused I'll try to do a little research for you if I have some time later.... anyway, I'm glad to hear it's all working OK and I'm more than happy to help! :highfive

[dlb]

12. ancientdad

ancientdad Private E-2

dlb,

I did just that with the FireWire thing - I never use it anyway, so it wasn't an issue, just like bothering with modem drivers now, a waste of time, so I disabled the entries. However, I did find a way to adjust the volume, one of the weirdest things I've ever run into in years of messing with computers - if you open the main volume properties, the Wave file slider adjusts the Windows event sounds despite the main volume slider being non-functional! Other than that, the laptop is fully functional. I went through so many driver tries that I'm not entirely sure I saved only the fully functional set, but if anyone ever runs into the same situation, I'd be happy to share the set you have helped me collect. Thanks again for all the help, you guys are great! :major

13. bobcatpaw

bobcatpaw Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds