Vista Transformation Pack - failed :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by aklmtnbkr, Jun 10, 2008.

1. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

HI

Im new to this :(
    I loaded the following "appearance" program to my XP and now my pc wont start up: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Vista_Transformation_Pack_d4924.html ... Itworked fine, then I shut down my pc and when I re started it, it opens the user and then just shows the background pic and wont actually go any further. It doesnt matter if I try safe mode etc...

What can I do to remove this program so my pc works as normal?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If you don't use Windows backup, turn it on RIGHT NOW!

Try booting to safe mode & uninstall it.

3. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

Yupp, last night I did a System Restore.. however the earliest date available was the day the VTP was loaded and nothing prior to this. I tried to remove it but it wouldnt allow me into the Add/Remove Programs and just kept coming up with an error "dll" and come other letters. When I start the PC, it gives me the option to load my password in but then it just brings up the background pic and wont activate my actual desk top. It keeps giving the error userinit.exe . I found out last night if I go control Alt delete, I can run c drive from there (it also wont allow me to run in ms dos (cmd) as it gives me the "dll"error again)... Once I run c drive, my desk top comes back but I have no access to any of the pc's security or main files. I can only access my pics and general documents.

I did the run sys/scannow (think thats what it was) to fix anything missing files but this didnt do the trick either :(

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Well, you do need help right away. You can't go on without a PC day in and day out. If only I knew how. Have you seen that there is one new answer in your thread in that other forum? http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28774 You should try writing in it again...

5. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

Thanks a mil :) I thought about re loading windows last night. I did a backup to my removable hard drive so all my personal files are safe in any case... Just wanted to try skip the hassle of loosing programs etc... sigh :)

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Did the new answers over there help you?

7. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

Will be attempting it tonight when at my home PC (the problem child)... but thnks for all your help and advice :)

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I feel for you. This problem would be one I could run into. I like nice designs, a few widgets, email stationary, a little desktop fun programs and such stuff. I was tempted to download this Vista look program for my XP Home...

9. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

Yupp...doing some googling bout this download shows quite a bit of the same error ... Im sure there is a good download for it somewhere but quite frankly...I reckon its safer to stick with what u have...

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I also had my eyes set on that XP Royal skin that you can download but after this, well, I don't know...

I wondered if your problem could be an SP2 vs. SP3 issue. Maybe this Vista skin is not compatible with XP Home SP3?

11. Speculant

Speculant The Confused One

i had the same exact problem you had, only the desktop icons/start menu kept on flashing on/off

had to reinstall windows, and none of my data was backed up...that took a looooong time to re rip my cd/dvd collection

my advice is to stay away from these transformation packs, they end up using up more system resources than just buying vista anyways

12. aklmtnbkr

aklmtnbkr Private E-2

So after running repair... it ended up doing more damage - 5 hours later after waiting and watching my pc go through am exorcism - I had to do a restore :(

... but my pc is split into 2 drives for Windows & programs on c Drive & Personal files on d drive so is there a way of now making my c drive smaller (so it JUST runs windows) and making my D drive larger with the excess space then avail so I can load any other program files on the D Drive? (the restore didn't touch my D drive - just wipes the C drive clean)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds