vista ultimate 64, restricted users, file sharing

Discussion in 'Software' started by lego126, May 9, 2011.

1. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

I just recently created my daughter(14 yrs/old) a seperate restricted user account in Vista Ultimate 64. And alot of her games aren't playable. What do I need to do to make all the pictures availabe on both accounts, all the games availale, and stuff like that? For instance.. SAS and even Mbam. Do I have to go in and update the definitions for both accounts?? Cause when everything started up the core:0000 trace:0000. I'm assuming this is defintions. Will I have to change all the startup process and stuff, and programs that start up when she first logs on??? Cause I noticed alot more stuff starting up on her account. Thanks for the help.

2. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

So no one knows how to make the settings the same on both user acounts w/o having to go in change everything manually? Is there a way I can just copy/paste??? anyone? anyone?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

If the programs don't run in non-administrator mode then they need to be run in administrator mode. This is mainly due to the fact that games and programs sometimes need to interact with files that are not accessible to a restricted account.

4. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Thank you for the reply. That solves the question about some of the games, but how do I get the pictures shared with out having to take up addition HD space? And is there a way to make the startup setting the same on both accounts with out having to go in and fix everything manually?

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Save the pictures under c:\users\public. There should be a folder there called public pictures. That way everyone has access to those files.

For the games, you should be able to grant permissions to the folders that the games were installed.

6. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

thanks for the reply. I just figured out the security options in the properties of each folder/file.

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

It just can be time consuming to setup. But, in the end, it is worth it. Better this way, then to grant everyone "administrator" access.

8. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Yeah I figured out the permissions tab in each individual folder. But I still can't get some games to load correctly. It will launch and when you go to load your game, there is no loading bar, or anything, just stays on that screen. I have to ctrl-alt-del, end program and then run it from Admin account. I tried to adjust the permissions in the Steam folder as well as the X86 folder that contains the game. Those are the only folders that should be required to run the game. One question, say I change the permission on folder "A", will the permission be changed on every sub-directory within folder "A" as well? After changing the permissions, a little icon appears to the lef tof the name of the folder, but when I open the content of the folder, I no longer see the User sharing Icon.

9. lego126

lego126 DJ's Geeky Dad

Out of curiosity, what's the picture on your account??? Is that a bong? Or a Genie in a bottle type thing? :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds