Vista unable to connect through browsers following malware recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bigtallbloke, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bigtallbloke

bigtallbloke Private E-2

Hello, I have done a search and followed most of the similar threads on here, but still unable to connect properly.
    Having removed some malware, thanks to your Malware forum guys, This PC is not connecting to the Net through IE, Safari or FIrefox.
    I have removed an excess line from the Hosts file, renewed the ip and tried the winsock repair.
    Currently it will ping www.google.co.uk successfully.
    Any suggestions welcomed.
    Regards, Mike.

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Do WinSock and TCP/IP repair.

Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.

Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run a Command Prompt as an Administrator. Allow elevation.

Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt , and then press the Enter key.

Do the same processes for refreshing the TCP/IP just replace the typed command with.

netsh int ip reset press Enter

ipconfig /flushdns press Enter

Restart your Computer.

3. bigtallbloke

bigtallbloke Private E-2

I've done that now, with the Ctrl Shift Enter so that Administrator appears in the title bar for Cmd prompt.

The second step netsh int ip reset
    comes back with

Reseting Echo Request, failed.
    Access is denied.

Reseting interface, OK!
    A reboot is req....

Continued to step 3 and restarted, but still no connection on Firefox.

With Avast shields turned off, IE does connect, but Firefox and Safari do not.
    Java came up wanting an update, but failed in its final part due to connection.

Hope this is decipherable !

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds