Vista - Upgrade Vs Full Version

Discussion in 'Software' started by J8son, Mar 26, 2007.

1. J8son

J8son Corporal

I was asked a tech question that took my a little off guard by a co-worker. We were talking about the new Vista and the differences in buying an upgrade compared to the full version. Then this question came up:

What are the major differences (besides price) in buying an "Upgrade" Vs a "Full" version of Vista Ultimate?

I realized that the upgrade requires you to provide an original OS disk to verify the eligibility for the upgrade. But other than this, what are the differences?

Keep in mind we both ONLY do clean installs of the OS after completely wiping the hard drives.

Is an "Upgrade" a complete 1:1 copy of the "Full" version, just with different install requirements?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No in Vista that method of popping in a previous OS cd doesnt work to upgrade, now you need a previous recognised OS installed on th HD and you run the upgrade disk from inside the OS GUI.

However a workaround for using the upgrade DVD to clean install was posted here for you http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121436 it bascially involves you installing Vista twice.

Other than that the two versions are the same.

3. J8son

J8son Corporal

I see. Here's another question that has come up in my research recently:

I found a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate (Full Retain Version) for $399.99.

Then I found a copy of Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders - OEM for $199.99 (almost $200 cheaper).

Are there any big differences? This is just for my personal system at home that I edit video on.

Would I be sacrificing anything by trying to save money?

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I believe (Halo may correct me) that the OEM version is 64 bit only. While that may seem fine if you have the hardware for it, not everything is ready for 64 bit, including drivers and software.

Also, with OEM, you must legally buy hardware with it. Some, a lot of places I have seen, you pay more between the hardware options they give you and the OEM DVD than buying it retail.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, retail has x86 included along with x64 in the box. You can get OEM now without hardware (my XPP came a keyboard and mouse included in the price ATT), check out NCIX.com, it's a reputable place, I buy from them all the time up here. The thing with OEM is that it is tied to your hardware IIRC and I don't know how tightly MS is going to regulate that, say if you have to replace your mobo etc.

6. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

oem doesn't tie to hardware any different then a regular copy fyi. OEM just means plain box.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

OK, not as severe as I thought.
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2087792,00.asp

8. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

yep i was trying to find a good article but you beat me to it.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

OEM versions you will only get x64 or x86 versions seperately, so if you want both you will have to buy both, unlike Retail Ultimate which comes with both versions on seperate DVDs, hence price.

OEM is no different version to Retail, however like Adryn pointed out, many retailers will need you to buy some hardware it, can even be a IDE/SATA cable... I know that Microsoft did relax this as many retailers were allowed to sell Vista OEM without the need for a hardware purchase.

One downside with OEM is what Augie mentions on the Vista EULA for OEM, which may mean a call to MS support ( freephone generally ) to just mention why your changing.

I bought a copy of OEM for my laptop and have no issues with it or with activation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds