Vista- What is everyone's Opinion???

Discussion in 'Software' started by techiegirl2, Jun 3, 2007.

1. techiegirl2

techiegirl2 Corporal

Hello:

I finally had a chance to experience Vista and it looks flashy.

I am not sure what anyone else has seen but I would like to know. I have heard rumours that there is problems with periphials and drivers, etc.

I will be purchasing a new computer this year and just want to know what I am in for in terms of headache, etc.

Thanks

2. TheSaintOfPain

TheSaintOfPain Private First Class

I myself haven't used it yet, but I've heard some of the same stuff, about peripheral problems, all sorts of bugs, etc., and that doesn't make me want to rush out and buy a copy. If I ever do get it, it'll be a couple of years from now, when most of the preliminary bugs and such are gone/fixed, and it might actually become a decent OS.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To insinuate that its not a decent OS, without ever using it, is talking out of...well, you get the idea.

I have used it. Its not my primary OS, but I can compare enough of it with Xp, Linux, and OS X.

Visually, its easy on the eyes, Very nice looking, although I missed Linux insofar that the gui has more eyecandy. It was very smooth running, and not slow at all. The interface is somewhat different--it will take a little to get used to. Security wise, its heads above XP. Speedwise--well I felt it was faster than XP, on a subpar machine (experience rating of 2.1). This is the first Windows release that has come out that has been in a position to compete with OS X in terms of superiority(not market share).

Purchasing it on a new computer is best. It is not a life altering upgrade from XP, but if it comes on the computer, by all means--because it is an upgrade. Check your software, make sure its compatible with Vista. There are several sites out there you can refer to.

http://ntcompatible.com/compatibility.html

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

All OSes have bugs out of the box, happens, also same with hardware/driver/software issues, with new operating systems.

If you get a PC which is built for Vista you will be fine in regards to hardware issues, or you shoudl be in your OEM has done their job right! software well, majority will work with it, and others are being updated, but dont blame the OS for lazy 3rd party devs as Vista was not a suprise release.

I have used it now in some form for over a yearand a half and use it on all 3 of my main PCs, its for me like the time I went from Win98SE to XP, new, different, some bugs and driver issues, but use it adn use it for more than a month and you'll get to like it.

yes it has eye candy, but all OSes do! but look past that and look at its small ease of use touches and usability for new users.

5. TheSaintOfPain

TheSaintOfPain Private First Class

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that it wasn't any good, especially since I haven't used it. I can be an idiot sometimes, and not realize what I've said (or typed, in this case) until it's too late to fix it.:banghead:banghead I guess maybe I should wait and read through what I've typed before I actually send anything in, shouldn't I?;)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I do the same thing, just end up editing it before anyone notices :D

7. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

I just got it on Friday, it has really flashy effects, which I like. I havent got much tech to back this opinion up but heres what I think:-

It is taking me a lot of getting used too, I can hardly find anything!! But Im starting to feel a bit better after some good advice and a few days messing around on it. I suppose its the same with everything in life, you have to learn to walk before you run sorta thing. And theres no big rush to learn it all at once I suppose, so I will just pick things up bit by bit and post here when needed.

There is software I use on XP, which I cant get to work on this, which is a bit of a bummer. I think that it will be all sorted out as the software developers play catch up though. Micosoft should have worked a bit harder at making stuff backwards compatible a bit more I reckon.

And I know everyone says they would like to stick with XP. But its just the way things go, youve just gotta move with the times sometimes. How many people said "oh I dont like those CDs I will stick to my tapes and vinyls", same thing with the death of Video Cassettes and Floppy Disks. People tend not to like new things at first I think.

I read microsoft will be supporting XP for a long time into the future so theres no rush. But I would say if your getting a new system, its best probably to upgrade to the new. My laptop will be staying on XP however as I wouldnt be prepared to fork out for it on that.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds