Vista: Windows Explorer closes, fails to recognise USB devices

Discussion in 'Software' started by jondemassey, Jul 24, 2013.

1. jondemassey

jondemassey Private E-2

I am afraid I am one of the mugs who fell for the financial scam called Vista. It is now history that MS just released it as a device to extract licence fees out of us whilst waiting on Windows 7.

But what is worse is that they either refuse to or are incapable of doing anything about it.

Since buying it I have had Windows Explorer problems. But it has deteriorated to the point where MS is now sabotaging my work.

Base problems:

Windows Explorer has stopped working. Windows is looking for a solution.

Well it never worked did it? But now it is closing in mid-task so I lose work. Without reason, it stops recognizing folders, files, browsers and any device.

USB device not recognized. One of the devices attached to this machine has malfunctioned.

No, it hasn't! The devices concerned are any USB pen, any Android phone, even an old pre-Android Sony Ericsson and the DVD player. These devices work perfectly well with other PCs.

These devices don't "malfunction" indefinitely in Vista, only about 90-95% of the time; which proves that they DO work and that it is WE that is malfunctioning.

I have sought help on the Microsoft support forums. All they have contrived to do is convince me to uninstall and re-install the driver for my USB stick.

It uninstalls fine but now no driver can be found to re-install. So MS have ensured I cannot do any work at my place of work due to Vista!

So I have returned again to the tried and trusted Majorgeeks as clearly there is an ethics deficiency at MS.

Is there anyone here who can get my Windows Explorer to stop closing down please?

Because I am certain that all the USB problems will cease as soon as that is solved.

Thanks!

2. 3headed monkey

3headed monkey Private E-2

The first thing I would do is check your hard drive(s) with Seatools or similar, if it keeps crashing use a boot cd like Ultimate Boot CD to check the HD outside of Windows, or take the HD out & test it on another machine.

3. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Putting the USB drive into the computer usually prompts installation of any drivers needed - is that not happening?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds