Vista wont load with nvidia drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by Monkey Hustle, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Monkey Hustle

Monkey Hustle Private E-2

Hi guys, I am having a problem with my PC and wondered if anyone could throw some ideas at me.

Yesterday I was playing a game and the graphics went a little funny, bits missing, strange colours, and then my pc crashed. I tried to reboot and I get the vista loading bar and then the screen goes blank, and I get nothing.

However, if I remove the nvidia drivers and use standard vga drivers vista will boot fine.

I have tried a vista reinstall and it still happens. Im thinking the card over heated and screwed itself up, but its not overclocked and clean of dust so shouldnt have done that :S

PC details are:
    Vista 64 Utlimate
    EVGA Nvidia 9800gx2 GFX card
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherbaord
    Intel QX9650 CPU
    4Gb OCZ DDR3-1333 Ram

Any ideas would be very much appreciated

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What I would try is to do a cleanout of any nvidia drivers, so download and install Driver Sweeper (BUT do not run it yet) download the lastest driver version for your graphic card BUT dont install yet.

Use Add/Remove and unsinstall your Nvidia Graphics Driver, then reboot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot) and then run Driver Sweeper to remove any Nvidia Graphics and Physx driver.

Then install the Nvidia driver you downloaded earlier and once installed if not prompted to reboot, reboot into normal mode.

3. Monkey Hustle

Monkey Hustle Private E-2

Hi there, thanks for your quick repsonse. I just tried what you suggested and get the same response. Vista loading screen then grey screen of nothingness. I assumed it would as I did a clean install of vista to try and correct this, and that still did the same.

Thanks for your help, itsm uch appreciated. Is there a next step, or is it a trip to the computer store for a new gfx card? :

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds