Vista won't see wireless networks after reboot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by odoile, Feb 14, 2009.

1. odoile

odoile Private E-2

I'm at my wits end here. Anytime I have to restart my laptop running Vista I lose the ability to detect wireless networks. Everything seems fine other that it won't detect networks. The wireless card (realtek RTL8187S) shows up and appears to be operating correctly. I've reinstalled the card and driver to no avail. The only solution I've found is to reboot, disable the wireless card in bios, allow the computer to start, reboot again and enable the card in bios, allow to start. Then everything works until the next time I have to restart the computer.

Does anyone have any idea how I can keep this from happening?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I would recommend checking the physical connection of the card. Make sure it is not loose.

3. odoile

odoile Private E-2

It can't be a loose card because it is integrated into motherboard of the laptop.

I cannot connect to or even detect any WLAN automatically or manually after a restart. Only after I go through the process I described earlier will wifi work again.

This wouldn't be a big deal if it was a one time screw up I had fixed, but it happens every time I restart after installing or uninstalling a program. So essentially every restart actually involves restarting the computer 3 times before the wifi will work.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Were there any diagnostics supplied with the laptop that you could use to test the card?

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

You said you reinstalled drivers. Did you check for updated card drivers or chipset drivers for your comp?

6. OBWON521213

OBWON521213 Private E-2

I am having the same issue. My HP Pavilion running Vista downloaded some routine updates (not sure if this Matters) and since then I've had nothing but problems with my WLAN, Some how my computer just completely dumps my network adapter (Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN) when I shut it down at night or just on restarts. I then have to go find the driver on my computer and manually reinstall it, Restart and hope it works. I am about to throw it against the wall.
    Things I've tried:
    1) Gone into BIOS and enabled my network adapter (This only worked the 1st time; since then no help)
    2) Restored My computer to the day before it started dumping ( also only worked once)
    3) Redownload the newest driver from HP.com
    4) When I get it to work, I make sure its running the newest driver.

Its pretty much just a guessing game at this point, Any info Helps

Thanks OBWON

7. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Obwon, you may want to start your own thread so the answers given will only apply to you and not to the previous thread writer.

8. kbromer

kbromer Private E-2

Same exact issue. Realtek RTL8187B running Vista Home Premium on a Toshiba Satellite. I have it in dual boot with Ubuntu, and any time I swap between OSs, the modem is unfixable, and acts as if it's in a low power state and unrecoverable. The only way to get it to run is a double reboot, just like the OP.

I really think this is a driver/hardware issue that Realtek needs to fix, here is only a partial list of things I've tried on both OSs:

1. Generic drivers from Vista/Ubuntu
    2. Starting and stopping the device
    3. Every combination of startup sequences between the two OSs.
    4. Starting in safemode and loading the drivers one by one.
    5. Every combination of software command (flushing DNS, renewing the adapter with IPConfig, etc. etc.)

And yes, my drivers are completely up to date via Toshiba and Realtek.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds