Vista / XP issues

Discussion in 'Software' started by AZPunisher, Mar 10, 2007.

1. AZPunisher

AZPunisher Private E-2

Bought a new system recently and hooked it up w/ the pre-installed Vista Basic, but it doesn't work with my HP 3in1 combo fax/copy/printer..

Tried to remedy the situation by installing XP Pro on the data partition that was virtually empty, leaving the Acer/Win Vista drive as is.

I get XP to the fresh install status.. but it wont recognize my internet (DSL) connection plugged right into the back of the box.

My questions are.. can Vista be patched to work w/my old printer? I've already been to HPs site, and they say it's not compatible w/ Vista. I know it works w/XP.. so part two of the question is how do I get XP to work with my internet connection? Do I need to install completely over everything, so it's the only thing on the hard drive?

2. AZPunisher

AZPunisher Private E-2

Echo (echo, echo.. echo....)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Is your nic installed under xp? Check by, right clicking my computer, then clicking management, then device manager and look for any question marks or any areas that are expanding with devices listed. Also goto start run cmd then hit ok, then ipconfig, this will tell us as well if your nic is installed.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You may have to install drivers if you have an onboard NIC. BTW, can you dual boot with the two OS's. Just curious. About HP, only my oldish scanner works with a simple driver, none of the fancy stuff. Printer doesn't even have any drivers. One reason I haven't bought Vista yet as I don't want to buy new hardware. If I need to print something etc., I boot into XP to get that job done.

5. AZPunisher

AZPunisher Private E-2

Alright.. I got to the Acer site with all the drivers, but I'm still having troubles, as apparently none of the drivers are taking to the system properly, or I'm installing them in the wrong order..

I've opted to not use Vista at all as it will not work with my old printer combo, so I'm trying to get XP to be properly installed so it can connect to the internet via my ethernet.

I finished a fresh XP install, and went with the NVIDIA install package through the modem drivers folder I DLd from Acer's site..

NOW, I'm stuck at this point:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas of where to go next? I'm working with the Acer Aspire T180, and have all the drivers from their site on a separate disc..

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Install your chipset drivers, they are needed to allow correct ID on many of those hardware items with yellow ! marks.

Sadly I cannot get to ACER to locate these for you as my ISP has issues at present but if you have all the drivers it will be listes as Chipset of Motherboard drivers, install those, then install any others after.

7. AZPunisher

AZPunisher Private E-2

There's a .RAR that just says 'chipset', and this is where I got the NVIDIA install pack from, to get me to this point.

What else am I looking for? What else needs to be installed?

Here are some screens:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone can msg me on AIM or YIM, my id on both is AZPunisherX

8. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Istall your Chipset drivers first.

Your Modem next.

The ATI after that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds