Vizio televisions (regular vs. Vizio Internet Apps)

Discussion in 'Software' started by shooter, Jan 20, 2012.

1. shooter

shooter Private First Class

One thing I have noticed while shopping for a new TV is that, in the Vizio line, some have Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) while others do not.

The following two models are illustrative:

What I'm wondering is this:
    • Do Vizio TVs have upgradeable firmware (signs point to "Yes")
    • If I buy a Vizio TV that does not have VIA listed, can I get it with a firmware upgrade?

I've looked around, but haven't found an answer to that last one.

Indeed, I haven't even found the question asked.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Dont know that brand of TV at all but knowing other large brands like Samsung etc then the answer to upgradable firmware for a TV that did not originally come with Internet Access or Apps is no, as why would they have various models with and without VIA.

If you have an internet capable TV then they are likely to upgrade its firmware and include new apps, I know my Samsung SMART TV does this.

3. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I have been looking at the 32 inch and wondering the same thing... some come with streaming .. hulu, netflix etc... I am going to keep looking to see which way to go! Let me know what you decide to do!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds