VLAN through WAPs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clhamon, Mar 23, 2010.

1. clhamon

clhamon Private E-2

I am working for a small company which is trying to setup a public and private VLAN through the same WAPs, but I am having a little trouble getting everything working.

We have 3 3com 8760 WAPs, 1 Netgear FS726TP switch, and a Netgear home router (not by choice). We don't want any inter-vlan routing. We just want an open SSID for visitors to be able to get wireless internet if they want to, and of course and a secure SSID for our internal network.

I have saved some files into a zip that you can download at:
    http://eighthfloorpromotions.com/downloads/info.zip

The way that I have it configured right now allows the private VLAN to work with DHCP. I am connected to port 13. I have tried nearly every conceivable configuration, but nothing will quite work right.

I can get the VLANs on the switch to work fine, but when I try to apply it to the wireless clients, it does not work the same. It is actually seems to be sporadic.

I have also been having troubles with DHCP. I want both vlans to run off of DHCP, but they are leaking to the other VLAN.

This is my first time setting up VLANs in a live environment. Both experienced and inexperienced advice is welcome. I am just running out of ideas, and am concerned if it will work at all.

Thanks.

2. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

Are you using the home router for your DHCP?

3. clhamon

clhamon Private E-2

We are trying to use a home router on the public side fro DHCP. If you are looking at the pdf, it is the Netgear router.

On the Internal Network, we have a DHCP server.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds