vmware player free

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jun 15, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello

Win 7 x 64, Home Premium, i5, 1T, 3.30GHz

I am an average level user.

Is the vmware player free something an average pcer can use or will it be too difficult?
    I would like to try new things without fear of messing up my host os and be able to just remove the guest os if disaster strikes.

If average people can use it, are there any tips you can give to enable an easier installation?
    Thank you

2. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

It's very straightforward to set up, just like any other app, but you do need installation media of some sort to put an operating system on it. Great way to take a peek at the Win 8 Release Preview, or to try out a Linux distro.

No need to be concerned about messing up your system, take an image first or use your reg backup tool, either would safeguard you.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Is the Virtual Box an equal choice. I am trying to read as much as I can to keep it as simple as possible.

5. Earthling

I'm sure Virtual Box has its fans but I used both for some time before jumping decidedly in favour of VMWare. VBox does have one feature that you have to pay (a lot) for in VMWare - snapshots, but I don't regard them as essential at all. What system are you wanting to try out in a VM?

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If not too complicated, I was interested in looking at my son's new rave, the Chrome O.S.(cloud based) and Win 8.
    I have the hardware for Win 8 so it is something I woud like to see and work with, to see if I want it now.

7. Earthling

VMWare will be just the ticket for that sort of thing. Give it a whirl!

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you and I am sure I'll be back for help. Hi to David.

9. Earthling

One feature that is easily overlooked, as by default it isn't enabled, is Shared Folders. Do read the help on this as you can make selected folders on your Win 7 host available to the guest OS. This is a great feature and one of the many reasons why VMWare leaves Win 7's XP Mode miles behind.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you for that tip about shared folders.

I am about to find a VMware download site so I'll put MG in front and see what comes up. I was looking for Vmware and there is a "Vmare player" and other names.

Then, of course, there is the job of installing a program into the VM once done.

If successful I look forward to the lack of danger with a virtual pc.

11. Earthling

You've probably already found it but HERE you go peter. It's one amazing bit of software so hope you enjoy it.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you for the referral.
    I hope it is a pleasant learning experience also -good weekend.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I thouught you would be interested to kow I cannot register and nothing out of the ordinary is involved.
    It has three options after the failure but none work. it says it is working on the issue. i did read somewhere that VMware Player is not issuing any more which struck me as odd because so many people recommended it.
    There is nothing you can do but I wanted you to know in case you were waiting to hear how it went.
    Peter

14. Earthling

Dunno where you saw that but the latest version, 4.0.4 only came out a few days ago. There must be some sort of problem with the server if you can't register but I have the 4.0.3 installation file and if you want I'll upload it to a place where you can download it without needing to register. Just say if you want it and I'll email you a link once it's available. 4.0.3 is fine and once it's up and running you will get an automatic notification about 4.0.4.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>After 7 tries it allowed me to register?Sunday and busy.
    Then I could not install as I did not have privileges so I tried again by right clicking and clicking admin. This worked better,BUT, I have an attachment which I cannot understand but perhaps you can. it almost installed then this came up on each of 6 tries.

Attached Files:

16. Earthling

I had that error too when I accepted the upgrade from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 but after I manually uninstalled 4.0.3 it installed just fine. Are you quite sure you haven't previously installed this software? If so, just uninstall it via Control Panel.

In any case I have now uploaded 4.0.3 for you and am emailing you a link. Just save the file to your desktop and run it from there. After installation you will be offered 4.0.4 and I suggest you click Skip This Version.

17. Earthling

Hopefully you now have the 4.0.3 installation file in a zip container, courtesy of Skydrive. ;)

18. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>If I wanted to get the file myself sometime, is it difficult to do?
    I was thinking of having to reinstall sometime.

Will the reduction in size allow it to work or will the fact that it is a zip file allow it to do so?

What is different about my machine that has trouble as opposed to others?

Fathers Day is recgnized today but I will give it a try asap.

Thank you very much for your kind help.
    Peter

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello B
    I think you want me to use the 4.0.3 and avoid 4.0.4, correct?

You seemd to have indicated you intsalled the 4.0.3 the after having trouble with the 4.0.4 insall, removed the 4.0.3 and the 4.0.4 was ok-Correct?

20. Earthling

Assuming you have now downloaded the zip file you only have to double click it and it will open up and enable you to install the exe file it contains. Keep the zip in case you want subsequently to reinstall.

The first time you open the app after installation you will get a popup advising you that 4.0.4 is available and inviting you to upgrade. I had an error with the installer and you seperately have had a similar error, so my advice is to skip 4.0.4. and stay with 4.0.3 which works perfectly.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you for all your help. I will let you know how it works.

22. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Sorry my friend; the same box appeared.
    I think you have spent enough time on this and I truy thank you. I got an email from the VMware forum as ascerbic as could be. I told them I was not techie but they were condescending and mentioned some fancy word about matching something in the program with something in the pc.
    It was a ggood try. Relax now.

23. Earthling

Yes, do let us know how it goes. You will doubtless have many questions so ask away. At this point, before installation, I would recommend taking a new full image.

24. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

HI B
    Because VMware never installed even with the lower version you sent(same error box) I will not persue it further. I will continue to Google virtual machines in hopes of finding a machine that will install. Maybe my pc is not capable of installing a VM.
    I think under F2 there is a place that indicates if your virtualizer is enabled or not.
    Anyway thank you for trying so hard.
    Peter

25. Earthling

Any standard Win 7 machine will install VMware Player, there are no special requirements other than to install in an account having Admin privileges. It's possible your AV software is blocking it so if you are of a mind to try again then turn that off first.

The only other VM comparable with VMware is VirtualBox. You could try that but I don't consider it as good or as easy to set up as VMware.

26. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I am behind a router and use MSE which is quite universal.
    I will give it a try, though.
    I was considering putting chrome's os and Win 8 on oracle's VMbox if it complied.
    I checked the BIOS and ran a test for virtualization enabled and the pc is ok.
    I'll keep you in the llop after all you did.

27. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Have you ever considered trying Microsoft Virtual PC? It installs very quickly, and is very easy to use.

28. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I'll take a look. Any caveats or tips?
    Can I install an os I can use to email,surf and try new software?

PS I took a quick peek and that is the one that requires a license. I gave my old pc and xp disc away.

29. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Sorry, I may have given you the wrong link. For Windows XP or Vista you can use Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx

On Windows 7 I believe it is an optional component that can be activated from Add/Remove Windows components.

I have in the past used Virtual PC to install different Windows versions, and also tested Linux under it. You can do anything as you do on a normal installed OS. When running in full screen mode, it will look just like a natively installed OS.

30. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I'll try disabling the MSE but it seems that it is probably such a widely used a/v program that it may not be the cause.

31. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I have no cd other than my own os cd. Whic os can be installed in a vm other than Chrome and Win 8 without the disc?

32. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>The link stated the machine must be xp or Vista. Would Win 7 work?

33. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

It reads that I need professional or Ultimate and i have Win 7 Home ppremium.

34. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

You can download Virtual PC for Windows 7 Home Premium from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx. Click on 'Don’t need XP Mode and want VPC only? Download Windows Virtual PC without Windows XP Mode.' if you only want Virtual PC.

To install an operating system under Virtual PC you will either need a downloaded OS installer, or an OS install disk. You cannot install an OS that you don't have. It must also be activated like a natively installed OS.

35. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Thank you for all your help - I have to study what I have learned.

36. Earthling

peterr - I've been having a look around to find out what is preventing you from installing VMware Player in Win 7. The problem is with the MS installer, not with VMware and is described HERE

First clear the contents of the TEMP directory -

- Click the Start globe / Windows logo button.
    - Type %TEMP% and press Enter.
    - Select and delete all files.

If you still get an MSI error after that then try running this MS Fixit

If you have not kept the 4.0.3 installer it's still on the link I gave you so you should be able to download it again, or you could get 4.0.4 from the VMware site.

VMware Player is vastly superior to MS Virtual PC and once you overcome the installer error you will be able to see for yourself why it is so highly regarded.

I've tried all these virtual machines and am trying to steer you to the best of them.

37. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi B
    Yes, I routinely run %temp% and ran the fixit. Nothing seemd to be flagged or corrected. I am going to furhter check on the MSI 4.5 to see that it is installed. I don't know how right now but will find out.
    This email is premature on purpose only to inform you as to my staus to date. Oddly I just got an email from VMware asking why I have not made use of the product etc.
    Let me check on the MSI and give the 4.0.3 version a try.
    Peter

38. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Windows installer was manual but in the started column there was nothing so i set it to started. Is this correct or should I remove started to blank as it was before?
    if so, it ist just a right click?
    I am trying to be sure all is go before I download and install VMware

39. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

40. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

B
    Sorry about the incremental notices;I located the 4.0.3 file by myself. at VMware site.
    Install it?
    P

41. Earthling

The video is for installing Win 8 in VirtualBox running in Win 7, not for installing VMware. But installing VMware require little more than downloading and running the VMware Player installer. Just follow the prompts and as long as you don't get the MSI installer error there shouldn't be any problem at all. Then you can go to stage 2 which is installing an operating system in the VM.

The Windows Installer service should be on Manual. Double click it to change the startup mode.

42. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I ran it as admin and it placed a shortcut on my desktop -
    I opened the shortcut and the VMware was on my screen for the first time!! It was great!!!! BUT, the program then gave the same error messages. One was too fast to read but I cptured the second - see attachment.
    Also, I followed that path and it does not correspond with my machine as appdata is not where it says it should be- see attachment.
    When I tried again, it failed .
    I am only a novice but I feel;
    1-there is something clogging up the destination because it almost got there the first time.
    2-the path it wants is different from the path in my machine.
    I received some messages from the VMware place nd it seems i am not he only one with this issue.
    I wonder if I have the right downloader?
    Also, I cannot find Appdata
    I ran SFC and it was fine.

Attached Files:

43. Earthling

I don't know peterr, can only assume you aren't getting the correct version. These problems simply should not be happening. Because of slow upload speeds it's a bit tedious uploading 4.0.3 again. I did ask you to save it last time, are you quite sure you didn't?

I'll try and give you an accurate link to the version you need, which I believe is Win 7x64?

44. Earthling

This is the best I can do. Login to your VMware acoount first.

Attached Files:

45. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I was at the site and chose first the .3 version then the .2 and neither worked giving the same message. I was sure to remove files %temp % and run a disc cleanup too. Why is app data not in the path?

It was a momentary delight to see the multicolored box on the desktop.
    I find the VMware site very hard to comminucate with as they speak as though you are a tech.

46. Earthling

The path in the error message corresponds with the path in my Win 7 up to Local and immediately before the \Temp step. Mine is

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\VMware. I think the \VMware step in yours - \Temp - is the directory used during installation. After installation that step is replaced by \VMware

So where exactly is AppData in your setup?

N.B. I know you separately backup your registry rather than backing up the entire system. Unless you are very clear about the possible consequences of this then if not done absolutely correctly it can lead to the system being in an inconsistent state, which yours appears to be. I'm not saying this is the reason for your current problem, but it just may be.

47. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I unchecked hidden files and folders and it is where it should be.

I am going to disable real time protection on MSE during download and see.

48. Earthling

Last hope - try disabling User Account Control while running the installer.

49. jaydeee

jaydeee Private E-2

vmware is free... but I suggest using virtualbox instead.

50. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Just got power back after a week of distress from the Direcho or terrible storm in Maryland.
    First, when I opend the conceald files and folders the path is corrct and app data is where it should be.
    Secondly, I do use Acronis on a regular basis besides the system restore and the new erunt like plan by Tweaking.com which backs up the Win 7 registry easily for average people who had trouble with erunt.
    I think I will avoid Virtual as it is obvious I do not have either the machinery nor the skill to install it.
    Acronis has saved the day many times. I know how fickle pcs and hard drives are.
    I do want to thank you very much for all the trouble you went through coaching me with the VMware.
    Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds