Vmware

Discussion in 'Software' started by TimW, Aug 20, 2016.

1. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am so frustrated I have googled and downloaded at least 5 vmware files and none of them work. They all will not allow me to adjust ram usage or choose to run from an ISO file. Yes, I also downloaded from MG's. If anyone has a working VM please give me a link to a fully working VM player.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

You should be able to setup memory allocation during initial setup of a new VM player, Tim:

VMWareMemory.jpg

3. TimW

Yes, satrow, I should, but none of the VMplayers I downloaded would let me.

4. satrow

Strange, what is the Host CPU, if Intel, are the Vtx extensions (or w/e they're called) enabled in the BIOS/UEFI (different for AMD CPUs but I think they also have an equivalent)?

(I'm currently hitting a 'bug' after installing the MG VMWare Player - because I have the Vtx turned off, can't reboot to reset it for some hours, so I can't check my end for a while.)

5. TimW

I downloaded a 30 day trial version and it will allow me to change the ram and do the ISO file.

6. satrow

That'll do it for now, and it gives us some space to work out what's going on with the other Player installers.

Have fun :)

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I'm glad you posted this Tim as I've been using VMware Player for donkey's years and had no idea a free version of Workstation 12 was available - I'm still on VMware Player 7.1.4 and when I check for updates it doesn't show any, though it has in the past. It still works fine on 7, 8.1 or 10 and runs all my VMs without issue but it's about to be uninstalled and replaced by 12.1.1. :)

8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

D/l'd VMware v12 today and it runs some of the iso's I have. Also allows some changing on disk, memory and display ram. And vmm options were already enabled on this Intel 64 uefi. CorePlus Linux loads the fastest so far.

9. Imandy Mann

@Earthling - from a previous try - it (v12) loads and runs my AOMEI pe iso's.

AOMEI_n_VMware.png

10. Earthling

I didn't persevere with AOMEI PE as it wouldn't boot any of my systems. Not tried it since. I would quite like to have usable PE disk or ISO but so far I've always been able to resolve any issues with Puppy so no great incentive.

11. Imandy Mann

Puppy's good. Right now I'm on tahr pup with this VMware with network working and everything's good.

@Tim? Is it working now?

12. TimW

I am running VM 11 which allows full customization, but I fear it is a trail version.

13. Earthling

I'm using the MG d/load of Workstation 12 on Win 10.1607 Tim and everything is as it should be. The problem has to be with the host system.

14. Imandy Mann

TimW likes this.
  15. TimW

Yes, that is the one I am using Imandy. Haven't seen a trial balloon yet. And it doesn't say on the website that it is a limited usage. Fingers crossed.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  16. Imandy Mann

found out something tonite. Had a Win 10 pe running in full screen mode and decided to quit so I hit the x up in the top and the screen offered a shut down or a suspend. Tried the suspend and it saved all my setups including having network set up and also had hardware info on screen. Even survived a shut down on the main comp. Guess it's the same as persistence on linux? I will use that option from now on.

17. Anon-469e6fb48c

Anon-469e6fb48c Anonymized

It might be a bug with the current version of VM.

Might want to shoot a message to the makers.

This is way i keep backups of the older programs.You never know what bug you are going to run into.

And make sure that your computer VM is set to what ever you have it setup as.

18. Imandy Mann

why didn't I think of that!?

19. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

You can open the .vmx file with notepad and change settings there.
    Also add this line in the file
    bios.bootdelay = 20000
    That way you have time to hit F2 or ESC to select a boot device or change BIOS.
    On occasion go to the VM and select "Edit Virtual Machine Settings", click the hard drive and click on the Compact button, it could save you a few gigs.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  20. Imandy Mann

Where or when would this be needed / used?

21. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If you want to test booting a live CD / USB , or if you select to create the OS later during the VM setup. Workstation usually boots to the first HDD.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds