Voice Chat not working on LAN

Discussion in 'Software' started by laszlo87, Apr 7, 2014.

1. laszlo87

laszlo87 Private E-2

Hello All,

I can't figure this one out. Then again I'm not the best on figuring out how to setup proper networking configurations for this kind of stuff. I can't seem to get any kind of voice chat set up between two computers at home! Weird thing is I figured out to get games going like a Minecraft server and Left 4 Dead 2 server, and how to play via a local area, but no voice chat. I've tried Skype, and doesn't work. Tried using Left 4 Dead's voice chat doesn't work. Strange. This is my setup:

Two computers (both Windows 8)
    One uses an ethernet cable and one is wireless
    We both connect to a Netgear router

I'm sure I'm missing out on something here. I've tried to Google it, but not much support for that (other than maybe Skype). Any clues would be of much help. Thank you!

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

3. laszlo87

laszlo87 Private E-2

I know about those (except for mumble), but what about in L4D2? I voice chat all the time to other players online.

4. foogoo

duped

5. foogoo

When you " voice chat all the time to other players online." is that your server or another server?

Is your server config'd correctly?
    /////////////////////////
    //communication

sv_voiceenable 1 //default 1; enable/disable voice comm
    sv_alltalk 0 //default 0; Players can hear all other players' voice communication, no team restrictions

/////////////////////////

from http://www.tunngle.net/community/to...erver-patch-23-by-sfk-updated-9th-march-2014/

Side note a while back CounterStrike started blocking free view to players on the same LAN to stop cheating.. If you were dead you could tell you buddy where the enemy was... so maybe voice chat is blocked on a LAN? just a wild "what if?"

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Firewall is the first place to start looking why it is not working. The second is the router, to make sure the proper ports are not being blocked by the Router. Portforward.com has information on there, how to setup routers to allow servers through the hardware firewall.

7. laszlo87

laszlo87 Private E-2

Thank you very much for all your guy's input! But, here's the weird part - It worked the next time I loaded L4D2, and I did absolutely nothing on my part. Weird... No, you can definitely communicate to other players either playing campaign, or versus. Just didn't work the first two times I tried running L4D2. Whatever the issue might have been I'm just glad that it works. Thank you very much for your help Foogoo and Brownizs!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds