VoIP phone connection sucks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eagerinsight, Dec 8, 2005.

1. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

I use vonage as my phone provider. I use a linksys wireless WRT54GS and a linksys wired RTP300 with phone line ports. I had my internet connection hooked through my wireless router then to my voip router, and there were sound issues. So I switched the two routers around thinking I had a bandwidth issues, but still have the same issues. Vonage help line told me to adjust the sound quality on the vonage website, b/c I can save bandwidth by choosing either the Higher or Normal Sound Quality setting. This didn't help, still sucks, so I bought a new uniden 5.8 gig phone. Is it a bandwidth issue, does my connection suck?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Sorry to say this, but VoIP is dependent on your ISP connection, and the issue could be due to your ISP. You can run this test to see how your VoIP connection is: http://www.testyourvoip.com/

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Line quality and how clean the signal is is also a major factor, whoever your phone co. is give them a call and ask them to test your line for quality, they maybe able to adjuct the line gain.

we have Cisco VoIP phones in work and as our network has massive bandwidth the calls after they cleaned the signal up at the exchange the calls are now crystal.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds