Volume2 App No Longer Working Properly

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shuriken UK, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Shuriken UK

Shuriken UK Private First Class

A long while ago I was told to give Vol2 a try as a replacement for the pretty lacking Win7 Volume and Audio controls, and it was miles better than what Microsoft offered with Win7, but sadly on my new build it often plays up. Basically, sometimes when I start the PC, the Vol2 system tray icon is missing, and going into "Customise Icon Notifications" tells me Windows thinks nothing is wrong. Cant bring it back from there, so I have to manually run the program to bring it back. This can happen at any time (not just at boot up), such as after playing a game, watching a video, browsing the net etc.

My new build is lightyears ahead of the old one, but it certainly has a lot of these little problems which the old one didnt...

How can I make Vol2 work normally. I've tried reinstalling but it doesn't help! Theres no way I'm going back to Win7 standard audio controls. Thanks.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Eldon

4. Shuriken UK

Thats the one I have, V1.1.4.347, I must've got it from some other site because I didn't have to whip out the Russian phrase book! The 1st version I had was off DeviantArt though. I've been through all settings, its set to run at startup but I have "Show standard volume icon" disabled (I only want the Vol2 icon visible). I left "Reload hooks" unticked because I have no idea what it does. The app is set to "Run as Admin", all notification options are enabled.

I wonder if its worth rolling back to an older version, hopefully I won't lose any important features. It all worked fine before (would've been an older version, running on my old build, with much, MUCH older hardware).

5. Eldon

I have the same setup.
    It's worth a try.
    Volume² is a great utility but, it's not well known. I think your problem might be specific to your system. The only option is to contact the author.

Now look at the strange issue I'm having with both versions. It happens randomly. :confused:

Volume2.jpg

6. Shuriken UK

Thats weird lol, so it assumes you've plugged in some kind of mic or other input device when you haven't? I'll see if I can get any response from the author then!

7. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Been using this for 3 years on a few PCs, and I've seen some kind of bizarre things with the program. Private Firewall says it wants to "Simulate Input" and "Copy Screen Content". I used PF to shut down its internet connection and block the behaviors, so I don't worry about it too much, but I would like to know what is causing these particular alerts.

That's creepy Eldon. I wonder if in Volume^2 are some sort of gamesmanship type of hacker tricks. Not suggesting the developer is a crook, as he seems to have gotten alot of help with the skins and translations for the program. I just wonder if he added some things sort of for the fun of it or something. Anyway, it is so good in comparison to Windows that I am willing to put up with this stuff to use it.

BTW, there are some great skins for V^2 on Deviant, but I'm not suggesting it's 100% safe to download from there. I use one called Modern UI by a guy named Brebenel Silviu that alerts when USBs are connected and removed and shows when the system is muted and so on. I use the bottom screen edge to scroll the volume level and boy I can't imagine going back to MS's way.

NOTE: Just looking at the About secton on the program menu, and I noticed that the version I have added the following: "added the ability to control the recording devices". Still creepy seeing Windows say that a RECORDING device has been ADDED. I have noticed that default sound devices can be set in V^2...

8. Eldon

I have select No for Alternative audio device. Hopefully that'll fix the popup.

I think there are way too many options and this, together with the software being relatively unknown, makes it difficult for the author to fix the bugs.
    https://irzyxa.wordpress.com/about/bugs-and-suggestions/

System > Notifications.

BTW There's a new Beta version available.
    https://irzyxa.wordpress.com/downloads/

AtlBo likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds