VPN wants to connect when it's not needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beichner, Jan 15, 2006.

1. beichner

beichner Private E-2

Hey all,

I'm running XP Home SP2, and a few weeks ago I set up a VPN using the network connection wizard so that I can access my school's network from home.

I've had no trouble actually using the VPN for what I intended, it's just that when I'm browsing normally (using Firefox), the Connect to VPN screen will pop up periodically. It only happens when pages are loading, and I've noticed that it happens more often when I'm going to dead links or other "page not found" type of places, but not exclusively. Also, my connection will hang until I hit the cancel button, which is really annoying when it pops up behind an open window and I don't notice it. I just sit there wondering why my page won't load.
    This is really starting to bother me, and I'd like to know what could be causing it.

Thanks for any help.

See ya

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Check your browser and Connection settings in your email program. Sometimes the external connection will make an attempt to connect.

3. beichner

beichner Private E-2

I'm using Firefox 1.5, and as far as I know, the connection settings don't have any control over external connections. I know I've never enabled any.

Is there anything else it could be, or does anyone know how to check that more specifically?

Thanks

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Browser and Mail program would be the first place to check. Also if the VPN program is running in the program as a task, it can always be looking for the connection if you used Windows XP VPN connection. Check the properties there.

5. XPGuy123

XPGuy123 Private E-2

Hmm, this is the exact problem I have - anyone have any more info on this? It's a surprisingly hard one to figure out...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds