vupoint FS-C1-VP slide scanner

Discussion in 'Software' started by onthebay, May 4, 2011.

1. onthebay

onthebay Private E-2

I have had this slide scanner for a few years and used it on my old computer with windows xp. I now have a new laptop with windows 7 and it will not work. The company vupointsolutions.com states it doesn't have a driver to support it.

The scanner comes with Photo Impression6. My computer recognizes the scanner, but will not allow the viewing or downloading of the slides.

Looking for any workaround if there is one.

Thanks!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you are running the Pro or Ultimate version of Win 7, you may be able to get the older drivers to work by downloading and installing the "Virtual XP" option from Microsoft (free, but it will not work on Win 7 Premium, Basic or Starter). A word of warning: based on my experience, getting older drivers/hardware to work in Virtual XP is (at best) a 50/50 shot.

Other possible options:

* If you upgraded your existing PC from XP to Win 7 (and still have a valid XP license code), you may be able to set up a dual-boot option and use XP for slide scanning.

* If the manufacturer offers a Linux driver, you may be able to set up a dual-boot. If you go this route, be sure other critical hardware used at the same time (printer, Wi-Fi card, etc.). also offer Linux drivers.

* Depending on how processor/memory intensive the software and drivers are (and how much you plan on scanning), there's always the possibility of buying a used or "off-lease" PC for about $100-$150. Off-lease PCs (including Genuine XP) are available at TigerDirect.com or MicroCenter for about $120-$150.

Hope this helps. :)

3. onthebay

onthebay Private E-2

HI,

Thanks for the help. I already tried the XP-mode, but since I only have Premium, it won't work. My system wasn't an upgrade from XP, so that's out too. The scanner company has come out with a new model number that is windows 7 compatable for under $200, so that looks like my only hope. I'll garage sale my old one.

Cheers

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

My best luck selling old PC hardware has been on eBay. Chances are there's someone out there still using XP who has the old software but with a dead scanner.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds