W2K Pro machine killed by non-stop Pop-ups

Discussion in 'Software' started by Webkrishna, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Webkrishna

Webkrishna Private E-2

I have a Win 2K Pro machine running Internet Explorer 6.0 SP2. My security mode, allowed Spyware, and other Ad software to be loaded to my machine, unknown to me. Now when I boot PC, pop-up (IE window) after pop-up pollutes my desktop until I get non-stop 'Server Busy' dialogs, and my machine freezes.

*** HELP ***

What do I do to get to a Desktop awaiting normal activities like installing SPAM, and Pop-up killing utilities, and removing these offensive files?

I even tried booting OS in W2K Safe mode w. networking, and the pop-ups continue in this state as well.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Dear Lord!!! Try a restore, if you can (from backups)? Maybe you could boot up of a 2k boot-disk, and then do a re-install of 2k Pro.

Thats one nasty piece of spyware!!

p.s. actually, try booting without networking (safe mode) and have a CD burned with Adaware, Spybot, AV proggies on it, so you dont need to download them.

3. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

download spybot search and destroy or ad-aware from this site and boot up WITHOUT being plugged in and then run the scan.

4. Webkrishna

Webkrishna Private E-2

Can you clarify WITHOUT being plugged in?

Can you clarify what you mean by re-boot w.out being plugged in? Is the Scan part of the Ad-Aware interface, or is it an automatic process after installing the tool?

F.Z.

5. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

I believe Kodo means to disconnect/unplug your internet connection prior to restarting your computer and running the software he mentions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds