W7 IE9 Does not automatically connect to wireless internet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ron AKA, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Private E-2

All of a sudden our laptop which uses Windows 7 and IE9 is refusing to connect to our home wireless internet. The router is set to NOT broadcast the name of the network -- have used that for years as additional security.

Have tried to make it manually connect and it refuses to. I have gone into the Manage Wireless Connections screen, and checking the settings, and they all seem to be good. Have tried deleting the network, and then installing it again. Still no luck. Internet is showing as not connected. Have been following the instructions at this link:

How to Connect to Hidden Wireless Networks

I have noticed that one screen in this procedure differs from what I see. This is the one in the procedure:

[​IMG]

I see one more option called:

Enable Intel Connection Settings

It is not checked. Also I have noticed what may be a new icon in my intray bar called:

Intel My WiFi Utility

It is set as WiFi on, and then lower down as "Disable Intel My WiFi Technology"

I've tried turning it on, and also checking the box in the other screen, but still does not work.

Any thoughts on why all of a sudden I cannot connect?

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Try right clicking this icon and choose exit. Then try connecting again.
    You could also try booting into Safe Mode with Networking (press F8 at start up) and see if that causes a difference.
    Have you tried a different browser, Firefox or Chrome for example, to see if this is browser specific?

3. Ron AKA

Ron AKA Private E-2

Started having internet trouble with another computer yesterday that is on a wired connection to the router. Rebooted the router, and today the wireless also works. Now the hard part, will I remember that for the next time it happens?

In any case thanks for the reviews of my post and the suggestions.

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the feedback.:major

First step in trouble shooting network connectivity should be to shut down entire network if possible and bring it back up in sequence - modem, router and then individual comps waiting for each piece of hardware to completely boot up and connect before starting the next.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds