W7 USB asks to format but fails, works fine on other machines?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Barney858858, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Barney858858

Barney858858 Private E-2

Hi, I have a computer which recouldnises some USB sticks, but others (such as kingston) it asks to format them, if I try to format them it fails, yet if I put the Kingston into another W7 machine is loads fine and I can format it fine. Any clues as to why this is happening would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What do the error messages or warnings say fully when it fails to format or load?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and then see if the USB is recognised on that PC, if it is then suspect a startup application, maybe a security program and disable it to test.

The PC that doesnt recognise the drive is not on a corporate network is it?

Could also be a faulty USB driver for that drive, so with the USB drive out of the PC, open up Device Manager and then the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch then plug the drive it and look for a new drive (mass storage) driver to appear, when it does right click and uninstall it, then take the USB drive out, reboot and then plug the USB drive back in and this should re-install the driver for that device.

Then test again if it can be accessed and formatted.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds